Suit thickness for 19-23 C water?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eskasi:
I am going to dive in the Med and then in the Mid East and SE Asia. I got a 3mm suit for use...however, is this too cool for Spring in the Med? Specifically Malta/Sicily in Early May? I heard that 19-22/3 is the water temp then.

Should I get a 5mm suit too?

Don't like the idea of renting suits.....

Depending on your tolerance for cold and how frequent your diving is going to be at these temperatures, I would think the 5mm wetsuit would be the one to go for. 19 can be chilly over long frequent dives.

Eskasi:
I am going to dive in the Med and then in the Mid East and SE Asia. I got a 3mm suit for use...however, is this too cool for Spring in the Med? Specifically Malta/Sicily in Early May? I heard that 19-22/3 is the water temp then.

Should I get a 5mm suit too?

Don't like the idea of renting suits.....

Temperatures here average 16 - 20 C. I dive with a 5mm semi dry and a fleece lined sharkskin vest, 2mm gloves and occassionally a hood.
Have never felt the cold with this setup - did three 40 minute dives on Wednesday with temps of 17, 18 and 18 without issue.

Tomorrow I molt from my drysuit for the first time this year. Cant wait to finally be wet again and pee at will :D

We have 16C water forecast and I will be diving a full 5mm with a 2mm vest and 5mm hood and gloves.

Thank God my name's not Will.

I wear a 5/4 even in warm waters and have never been uncomfortable. Don't think you can go wrong with a 5mm.

5mm minimum, 7mm recommended... (wouldn't use dry suit too much since air temps are already around 30C)

if surface is 23C then you can expect 14-16C on 30m

For 19C (66F) Id go either with a 7mm full, 5mm john/jacket for 10mm on the core or a 5mm full with a hooded vest. The latter being my preference.

I'm pretty cold tolerant as divers go and a simple 5mm full let alone a 3mm would not serve me well repetitive diving in those conditions. For a single dive anything will work at that temperature.

Pete

I dived for the last 5 months with temperatures ranging from 15 C at the surface to 11 C at the bottom (being at 35 m), dressed only in two piece 5mm wetsuit with the attached hood, and 2mm gloves. I was always rather comfortable for 20-25 minutes, then I could feel the cold, but as I dived more I got acustomed to it. :)

Today the water was 15 C at the surface and 13 at 20m, no problems whatsoever, so I reckon for 19-23 C range, two piece 5mm should do the trick just fine.

Since you said you already have a 3mm you might consider layering it with a 0.5mm/microprene type suit. the thinner suit will cost less than a 5mm and in my experience a 3mm with a 0.5 is roughly the equivalent of a 5mm, and it gives greater versatility.

I've dived in the med in similar conditions. 5mm semi dry recommended. I had an Oceanic Titanium, 5mm semi-dry long suit with 5mm shorty over the top. No hood but generally pretty toasty! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom