Suitable Dive Computer for DM trainee.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I was going to buy a recreational dive computer, I would avoid Suunto, due to their reputation for excessive conservatism. I would not be happy as a paying customer to have a dive cut short because of the algorithm on the DM's computer.

Let's assume you first find that you do indeed like diving, then further feel inclined towards helping other divers, and then still feel like going into full Divemaster training. Even with all of that, there's no need to buy everything you'll need for being a DM before you've even had your first OW class.

I'm wondering why not just buy what you need for each level of certification as you get there, like we all do? I get bad feelings about an operation that would urge you towards an internship and all the expense of the related gear before they've even seen you in the water. It makes me suspicious of their standards and priorities.

If I was going to buy a recreational dive computer, I would avoid Suunto, due to their reputation for excessive conservatism. I would not be happy as a paying customer to have a dive cut short because of the algorithm on the DM's computer.

Firstly, Conservatism is never a bad thing - especially as the DM's primary role is to keep customers safe.

Secondly, the DM is likely to be repetitive diving, day-in, day-out, for lengthy periods. Regardless of which computer he/she uses, it is likely to penalize them for the accumulation in slow-release compartments that will probably be controlling their dives. (We're talking intensive DM'ing is Asia here... not a weekender in the States).

Thirdly, I've used Suunto almost exclusively for the last 15 years. Never had a complaint from a customer. I always bring them up adequately for an NDL anyway... and it tends to be air-consumption that limits dives for the average customer, not NDL. The only time I've noticed the conservatism of my Suunto being a PITA was on repetitive deep, square profile wreck penetration dives, where my buddies Cochran gave him an extra 5 mins of NDL (first dive) and 10 mins of NDL (second dive).

Lastly, there's this stuff called 'Nitrox'... particularly useful for extending NDLs, should the dive profiles look likely to drive divers against them. Never a bad idea for a dive pro to utilise the proper tools, especially if they are doing deep dives, within a lengthy multi-day, repetitive dive workload.

Just saying....

I can just imagine a paying customer's reaction, when you enforce a square profile... unnecessarily short.... dive plan - because you've opted to go with a bottom timer and tables, rather than a dive computer.
rofl3.gif

Maybe you should have taken a bit more notice on your Tech, wreck and sidemount coarses. You can easily re-calculate mulitlevel dives with a timer. But you already know that......don't you?

That's my thinking as well. I also like conservative but the Suuntos really penalize you on repetitive dives and it could cause a problem for you when you're leading dives. I know one Cozumel dive guide who sold his Suunto for exactly this reason. How about the Oceanics with dual algorithm?

It's unusual for someone with no diving experience to enroll in a course to become DM and then instructor, but then I've heard of people who became expert cave divers in a fairly short time, while I've been diving 15 years and am still just a recreational diver.

You need to check that the shop is not promising you something they cannot deliver in return for you paying big money for instruction. Most instructors I know of don't make much money teaching and it's a hobby for them, at least around here in California.

Adam

Last edited:
Maybe you should have taken a bit more notice on your Tech, wreck and sidemount coarses. You can easily re-calculate mulitlevel dives with a timer. But you already know that......don't you?

I'd suggest spending a single day actually working as a DM, before posting pedantic and attempted patronising remarks to people who've spent over 30 years diving, 15 years technical diving and nearly as long working in the dive industry.

And yes,... with fear of sounding arrogant... I know an awful lot about dive planning... at all depth, involving most available means, electronic and otherwise... and have used that knowledge to conduct many hundreds of technical decompression dives. I've also managed to sustain an career in the dive industry - a success almost entirely dictated by strong customer support and word-of-mouth recommendations.

I've written a few of the courses I teach...so I guess a baseline knowledge should be assumed..

Sorry... what was your point?

Oh yes... bottom timers rather than computers. You won't find a single dive pro in Asia who runs dives from slates, during their day-to-day recreational guiding work. That'd be stupid and inefficient.

Expectantly awaiting some more pedantic nonsense... please don't disappoint xxx

Your posts do not show arrogance, it is the smilleys and kisses that do that. So nice from a moderator.
My comments on the timer was because as a DM you are not normally doing deco dives, so the calculations are quite simple. If the man has never been in the water yet, why not buy a cheep second hand timer and if he finds he wants more in the future he can either sell the timer or keep it for when his diving starts to progress.

Lastly, if you put a laughing smilly up then you should expect a response like the one you received. I have no questions over your abilitys, just the way you reply to things.

Back
Top Bottom