Sulawesi & West Papua

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HMo90

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all
New to the forum thing so any advice much appreciated. I am going to Sulawesi in May for 2 weeks and then on to West Papua for another two weeks and trying to work out the best way to see it all without completely breaking the bank! Obviously have heard a lot about Raja Ampat, Cenderawasih Bay, Lembeh Strait and Bunaken but have also been recommended Wakatobi and a few places in South Sulawesi.
My main questions are:
1. Is South Sulawesi worth a visit?
2. Lembeh strait vs Bunaken or both?
3. Is Raja Ampat better to liveaboard?
4. Where else in West Papua would you recommend?

Any tips would be great!
Thanks

1> No idea, BUT it will take at least a full days travel to get there, if not longer. So bear that in mind. Wakatobi is big $$$'s.
2> Lembeh for 5 days Bangka for 4 days and Bunaken for 4 days. The missing day is for travel between.
3> YES!!! You really do want to spend time in both N & S. So unless you have big $$$'s to stay a week at Misool Eco and then a week up North. The only real way to do it is via LOB. Most LOB trips are 10 nights.
4> There is a new resort down in Triton Bay which could be quite interesting. But most of your two weeks will be spent on the LOB so not sure you will have time to do much else.

You can do Bunaken and Lembeh and then hop on a short flight to Sorong for the West Papua part of the trip. Bunaken is very different from Lembeh and not that far away. It does not seem that May is the time of year for Cenderwasih but not sure about that. We are doing a 12 day lob in Raja combined with a week at a resort in April. Wakatobi is big $$$ and much more upscale from the resort point of view. Not sure that the diving is really any different than anywhere else in the area. You are going to pay for the facilities.

I read some blog posts from Indonesian travel bloggers (all is in Indonesian language) that the Pantai Bira - Tanjung Bira (Bulukumba, South Sulawesi) area is beautiful, and not too expensive. If I see the map, it is still located on the mainland. Diving is possible there.

Phinisi boat building industry is also located near to the beach - Wonderful Indonesia - Bulukumba: Phinisi Boat Building Industry and Tanjung Bira Beach Resort - you can combine it next to your diving. From the images, they look impressive!

But, I have never been there myself and totally curious, do let us know if you are going to Bira in South Sulawesi.

1- there are more budget resorts in the Wakatobi area than the famous über-expensive one. Check out Hoga island resort for instance. That said, I haven't been diving the area but from the feedback i heard/read, mainly walls with great corals, no so much fish... it's a long way though.
2- Lembeh AND Bangka. Bunaken can be skipped.
3- Dampier straits is diveable from a resort/homestay, no problem. But don't expect to go to the South of R4.
4- Triton bay but the resort will also slightly break your wallet (comparable to R4 resort prices), no homestays around.

Another option in between R4 and N/Sulawesi is Halmahera and Ternate. Very little dived, very few dive centres..

- South-Sulawesi: A colleague of mine spent some time in Selayar Dive Resort and absolutely loved it. Not as pricey as Wakatobi and still a bit off the beaten track.
- I prefered Lembeh over Bunaken. But I absolutely love muck-diving. If you prefer corals and walls Bunaken will be your place.
- I've spent more than 5 weeks in Raja Ampat. All land based. And I absolutely loved it. I don't think that i missed that much by not beeing on a lob. Raja Ampat Biodiversity is still a good and affordable option: http://rajaampatbiodiversity.com/en/accommodation-diving-packages/
-Cenderawasih Bay is all about the Manta Rays but not too many exceptional divesites beside. Wondering myself how Triton Bay is compared to Dampier Strait. It's on my to do list ;-).

2. Lembeh and Bunaken are different, I did both. Lembeh is muck, Bunaken is corals and wall dives. If you need different underwater pictures you can do both, if you like muck diving Bunaken is not this place.
They are not far from each other and it is easy to come from one place to other.

Having been to Bunaken and Wakatobi, save your $$ and go to Bunaken. I like the diversity of dive sites there better anyhow.... Wakatobi is wall after wall of the same and Bunaken is more beautiful both under and above water.

As to Papua we just spent 2 weeks diving there in Dec/Jan. We did a liveaboard (Arenui) and go back in October (Dewi Nusantara). Different diving than Bunaken. Less creatures, more fish and amazing coral, and some big critters. Now I love critters so we are adding some days in Lembeh so I can get my fix. I wouldn't skip Lembeh. The other places would give you enough of beautiful coral and fish, Lembeh is just something else so fascinating and amazing. Not beautiful coral but once in a lifetime critters and fish all hanging out together. So every dive you see that awesome rare thing you are lucky to see once on any of of the whole other areas.

So in trying to minimize time wasted traveling, travel to Singapore and fly straight to Manado. Do Bunaken and Lembeh. Then one flight to Raja. Then depends what's next.

Anyhow. Just my 2 cents :).

I've been to Bunaken a couple of times and found it distinctly average by Indonesian standards. Lembeh is great, well worth a visit, and the muck and crazy critters will be a great contrast to the corals, mantas and schooling fish of Raja Ampat.

Back
Top Bottom