Sun proofing face underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hello all again,
thank you very much for helpful info.
With respect to coolibar - we're very familiar with the brand and love it - i recommend it to anyone without any reservation (we have no financial interests in the brand :). My wife will definitely try the Ice Hood by Waterproof, since it looks exactly what she's been looking for.

I wear this when I dive and especially when I teach.

81XiupXuCWL._SL1500_.jpg

Dakine Surf Hat

It has a bill, so it doesn't flop in front of the mask. My face still gets just a tad toasty, but not like before. Mind you, when I'm teaching in the pool, I spend a LOT of time at the surface explaining concepts to students. I'm not the average diver in that regard. It stops my face and especially my ears from getting blistered by the hot Key Largo sun.​

I bought this hat on NetDoc's recommendation and used it on a very recent trip to Roatan. I was looking for something I could attach to my back plate and use on a long wait on the surface. It worked perfectly. It rolls up and tucks away nicely and wears well even when wet. I was even wearing it on the descent and then putting it away during the dive. Once again, perfect for my application.

Thanks NetDoc

This looks perfect for me. Do you have trouble with it floating or filling with air? Does the bill flop over your eyes when it is wet? Does it come in Packer green or gold?
It doesn't come in Packer green and gold but it does come in the shape of a giant cheese wedge:D

I've had luck with the Headhunter line of sunblock. It's designed for surfers and if you follow the instructions for application it works really well and lasts a long time.

Blue Lizard apparently makes an actual waterproof sunblock, though the link escapes me and my google-fu is too weak to find the description.

Apparently, the Australian definition of water proof is based whether it can stay on for hours in a hot tub.

From experience, the American definition of waterproof is simply based on whether the manufacturer prints it on the bottle, because there simply no even water resistant sunblock I have used. All require multiple applications to do anything, and none are anywhere near their numbers (30 times longer in the sun? Ha!)

But the people from cultures who value white skin (Japan, Korea, China, Philippines) have a different approach to keeping skin white that works even when traveling to warm places. Stay covered, obviously, but instead of worrying about excess sunscreen leaving the face white, actual go with multiple layers of foundation worn constantly. It will completely foul the silicone of the mask which means black skirted mask works best. And applying too much is, apparently, never an issue.

Get a black skirted mask with mirror lenses, and cover the rest with the above mentioned Kenny hood and it will do you for in the water.

But most of the time spent 'diving' is not in the water, (and light penetration is rather minimal in the water)so the hood and the mask are coming off, and really don;t make much difference anyway, and then you are back to mechanical protection (hats, rash guards, gloves, tights, shoes, and most importantly covered areas on boats), and applied protection (actual water proof sunscreen, and/or heavy foundation applied to all exposed areas.)

Blue Lizard apparently makes an actual waterproof sunblock, though the link escapes me and my google-fu is too weak to find the description.

As one might expect, the link is bluelizard.net

They cites the following on their US website. Note the violative (ie "illegal) way they sneak the Australian claim into the answer

IS BLUE LIZARD WATERPROOF? HOW ABOUT WATER RESISTANT?

No sunscreen is “waterproof,” "sweatproof" or provides “all-day protection.” These claims are forbidden by FDA regulations.
Regular and Sport provide 80 minutes of water-resistant protection based on the FDA testing method. This is the maximum allowed claim by the FDA. Blue Lizard Regular/Sport has also been found to meet the more rigorous Australian test method for water resistance at 240 minutes. Baby, Sensitive and Face do not claim water-resistant protectio
n.

Thanks for the link

Did I remember the name right? Is that the one everyone says will stay on all day diving?

Because the only Blue Lizards can find for sale are baby, face, or sensitive, or the same 80 minutes water-proof mark everything else is listed for.

I had hoped someone who previously raved about what the name was would ring in since I am looking to buy some for me. I hate makeup, but I am kind of at the point that I made need to start wearing several layers of foundation like the japanese do.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link

Did I remember the name right? Is that the one everyone says will stay on all day diving?

Because the only ones I can find for sale are baby, face, or sensitive, or the same 80 minutes water-proof mark everything else is listed for.

I had hoped someone who previously raved about what the name was would ring in since I am looking to buy some for me. I hate makeup, but I am kind of at the point that I made need to start wearing several layers of foundation like the japanese do.

Are you in the US? You can order it right on their US website?

SO that is the one people who have used have raved about? I did remember it right?

Haved you used it, and found it to be significantly better at waterproofiness?

SO that is the one people who have used have raved about? I did remember it right?

Haved you used it, and found it to be significantly better at waterproofiness?

Never used it. Neutrogena sport works fine for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom