Sunblock that will not wash off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So here it is...
Buy a brand from Australia called Blue Lizard. The Sport blend will stay on the longest. Can be found on Amazon.

Here's the reason why...
In the US, our FDA requires a sunblock to last for 80 minutes in "standing" water to earn the waterproof mark.

In Australia, their FDA (whatever that is called), requires a sunblock to last for 240 minutes in a "whirlpool" to earn the waterproof mark.

Basically, US branded stuff while it may offer the same SPF protection, it doesn't last at all. The Blue Lizard lasts and lasts and lasts.

Running off to the airport for a plane to the Carribean right now with several bottles in fact. Cheers!!!

Now my lips are blistered, swollen and cracking. Our skins and wetsuits were enough to protect our bodies between dives and keep us cool when wet. Any recommendations of what works is helpful!
As a sunblock, +1 for Blue Lizard. Lips are a separate matter, but multiple lip balms have sunscreen additives.

The biggest issue I have with BL - when I use it, my mask seems to fog up more.

Ditto on Blue Lizard, my wife and I used it on our last trip and didnt even get a tan. I work outside year round so nothing remarkable there, but my wife is a fair skinned redhead who works inside.

Get Blue Lizard and you will be happy!

I've used zinc-oxide based Soleo for a number of years and did a product endorsement for them at DEMA. I apply it to exposed areas in the morning and do several dives and am still protected. It is also reef friendly.

Just curiosity, where were you guys diving at? I know E. Australia is very brutal with sun exposure this time of year, even in small amounts.

Sand Hollow Reservoir in Southern Utah, USA

Who sells Blue Lizard? Internet only, or is it in brick and mortar stores?
Good question. It is not internet only, but I sense that it is a 'specialty' item. I bought my first bottle at Ocean Divers in Key Largo while on a dive trip. I then discovered that my dermatologist, in Chapel Hill NC, also carries it, so that's where I go for the product now. That also suggests that other dermatologists, or possibly health products stores, may carry it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom