Sunday August 2 - Lake Travis shore dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubashawn123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Several of us will be diving at 8 AM WP PUBLIC (Bob W state park) next to the water with our trucks and gear.

Early morning to be in the AC by the time the heat gets up there, before boat traffic stirs up the bottom of the lake, and people start fishing hooks onto your gear in the shallows.

If you want to join us, email me at shawntv@austin.rr.com before 9 PM, or call me to let me know who to look for at 512-538-7019.

My blackberry email that gets to me quick is shawn.o'shea@foxtv.com

There you go, an invite to dive on Sunday morning 8 AM, next to the waters edge.

Have a great weekend divers and see you soon.

:coffee:

TRIP REPORT from this morning:

Overcast and a cool 82 degrees outside

Max depth: 67 feet water temperature was 75 degrees

Surface water temperature was 84 degrees bathtub water temp

Scoreboard is slid down the embankment and silted over, did not find the fenders to right the board on the face of the cliff

Nice grotto while checking stuff out, ask Matt about the little 12 inch skeleton and peso we found with yellow chain holding it down to a rock

Visibility varied was better below thermocline with a whopping 5-6 foot of viz

It was good to see a group of swampers always nice to meet up out on the Lake.

Thanks Matt for a wonderful dive, and nice new rebreather you are diving with now.

Yellow chain with skeleton is my GeoCache GC1HEGZ!
Hope you left it intact!!!

My second cache is not so easy to find...

Last edited:
Yellow chain with skeleton is my GeoCache GC1HEGZ!
Hope you left it intact!!!

My second cache is not so easy to find...

It is in tact, we just looked and left bubbles.

What is a GeoCache? How does it work?

:no:

GeoCache is a world wide hunt for treasure. From GeoCaching.com;

"Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices. The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment."

There are currently 863,461 active GeoCaches around the world. Not many of these are u/w. Two exist in Lake Travis. One off Windy Point (mine) and another near Mansfield Dam.

Normally, you would put treasures and a log book into a tupperware container. Place the container out of normal traffic, hidden from view. Then, register your cache, its location and whatever description you'd like.

I know of 44 u/w geocaches. The deepest is at 2300 meters. And its just 3643 miles from Austin. Anyone have the gear to get to it?

I know of 44 u/w geocaches. The deepest is at 2300 meters. And its just 3643 miles from Austin. Anyone have the gear to get to it?

A geocache at 2300 meters???? :shocked2: Are sperm whales geocaching now?

Shawn, it was nice to finally meet face to face! We had 3 great dives - temp and vis as reported... although, I think it might have been better than 5-6 feet in spots. And John is now certified!

Last edited:
A geocache at 2300 meters???? :shocked2: Are sperm whales geocaching now?

Shawn, it was nice to finally meet face to face! We had 3 great dives - temp and vis as reported... although, I think it might have been better than 5-6 feet in spots. And John is now certified!

Likewise, maybe next time we get to dive together. That would be awesome.
Nice day for diving too.......not too hot out........

Too bad Texas Parks won't let us park by the water, those cones for parking are still a ways away from the waters edge.

It won't be like that in Cozumel on Wednesday.........

:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom