Super Costly Underwater Breathing Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Please I have buried that in the deep recesses of mind. Myself and two teenage sons, I'd rather not think about it. Now I am into camera equipment. It doesn't end.

Bo Danker:
No sense in adding it up you can't take it with you!

The saddest funeral I ever went to was for a relative who made a bunch of money, and didn't have a happy day in his life.

The guy doing the eulogy kept mentioning how sucessful he was in business, and I kept thinking "so what?".

I wouldn't give up diving for anything.

Terry

Well , you know, a few thousand here, a few thousand there, after a while
it adds up.

__

...but Darling! Look how much money I saved you. It was ALL ON SALE!!!

NJScubaDoc:
I got into diving this summer and have almost finished my AOW class. I'm just interested in seeing how much everyone has spent on this great hobby.

For me the grand total is approaching 4,500 and worth every penny.
Hahaha it's like an addicition....I have spent all my money on it. I made it a career. I think I have spent 75000.00 if you count the travel. I own a dive shop but I am not talking about the business end. That costs way more...Interesting question though. It's not the scuba gear so much...It's the addiction to underwater video and travel....and worth every penny. The travel alone has raised my conciousness to a new level. I have recieved another full education that you can't get from books. Just by visiting other countries.

Besides what it costs for gear, trips, camera equipment. Everytime I take a trip, I don't just dive, I shop! Do you know what black pearls cost in Tahiti?? I took a HUGE Armour ballistic duffel bag with me to Bali, practically empty. When I came back, I could barely lift it! Just the beaded sandals alone...OMG!

It is not just the upfront investment in equipment and training that has to factored into total cost. I am still surprised at the ongoing operational expenses, like site access fees, air (at those sites), annual equipment maintenance fees, expendable supplies & parts and transportation to the dive sites. In short, you never stop paying. This is definitely not a poor man's sport.

Gear (including hubbys photo gear) is trivial compared to the travel for us. I just made a guesstimate and it's a number I'm embarassed to post! But then, I would have been traveling even if I wasn't diving, so that doesn't count, right? :wink:

401k? Isn't that my Dive-Fund? I'm almost done paying myself back this year and will be able to sneak some out for a trip to Bonaire next year... and the cycle continues. I'll die a poor, broke, happy, old man diver.

Uh oh! as a newbie with a modest paycheck, I'm thinking I need a second job!!!:11:

But seriously, I have found the money to go on vacation twice a year, so I wouldn't count the travel as part of the expense. I think I can budget in the equipment over time. I won't be buying much until I get some experience and feel confident that it is something I will keep up with.

Back
Top Bottom