Super Costly Underwater Breathing Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Funny funny funny...you people need to spend more!!!!

I just spent over $7000 on a single housing for a video camera....thats not even including the camera!!!

Needless to say the Visa company really likes me and will do so for the 3 years it takes to pay that back....

Hmmmm.....

Apres-dive jacket - $150

Underwater camera - $1,200

My gear. And my girlfriend's gear.... $3,500

Twice-yearly luxury dive vacations... $10,000

My girlfriend's favorite "wine" ("I wanna go diving in Cozumel") - Priceless

My daughter and I are newbies, and the gear is costly. My amazing wife (not a diver, and no intention of diving) wants new furniture for our living room - but bless her, she has said she will wait so Tiffany and I can gear up. How's that for an amazing diver's wife?!

No less serious though....

We have hired BCD's up to now, and did some dives with this hired gear which was less than great! On one dive some @*(*#&&$^^!!! grabbed my BCD on the boat. In the scamble (and polite argument) to get "my"BDC back (and him being quite obnoxious), I landed up with a unit which was too small. We had to get out of the boat or miss the drop-off - so I took the BCD and got into the water. This made the dive &*(@*&$&&(!! and felt like I was diving with a tank in my throat! Why this epistle?

Moral of the story - if you have your own gear, THAT FITS, you have a better dive experience (and a safer one too!).

I am just about to get BCD's for Tiffany and I, and we intend to mark these somehow so that there is no confusion on the boat that the stuff IS OURS !!

P.S. I am making a plan so my wife also gets the furniture!

NJScubaDoc:
I'm just interested in seeing how much everyone has spent on this great hobby.

here I was having a great day and you had to ask that!

gear was ... around 1000$, then two diving trips around 1000$ each, and half of every second salary since I got certified ... another ...

oh, never mind!

I'm going to the bathroom to cry for a bit ... then next weekend I'll have a new salary to spend and am going diving :crossbone )

Went on a dive trip to Thailand. Had a chest infection just before I went but the wife is a doc so I was on maximum dosage of the best antibiotic. The infection got worse. Cannot remember the journey out! Was collected at the airport and put on a liveaboard. Stayed in bed taking the pills. Got to Richelieu Rock, forced myself to get up and dive. Bad idea. Went back to bed taking the pills.
End result one dive for over $2,000.

Don't be scared. It only hurts as much as you want it to. :cool:

Terry

proyce:
Stop it! You folks are scaring me. My wife and I only have mask, fins, snorkel, and skin suits. She is going to do her class and pool work in March. I did my OW cert in September in Hawaii. I am contemplating my first scuba purchase. I haven't decided whether to buy a regulator first, or a wet suit suitable for Minnesota diving first. I guess we will have to accumulate our gear a little at a time. I travel alot for work, so at least I have alot of air miles to get us to places for diving. My relatives want to know what I want for Christmas and I have told them I want gift certificates from my LDS.

What?? Who asks this kind of question!!!! STOP IT! Throw away ALL of your receipts, and NEVER think of this again.

You can spend as much as want in this sport but you can also find great gear inexpensively:Scuba Labs Testor's choice BC and Regulator(both lifetime warranty), 80 cu ft alum tank plus Knife, EMT shears, Slate and Dive bag under $950.00 bucks! The gear I dove all last summer cost even less that this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom