Super Costly Underwater Breathing Adventure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billtodive:
Wise man...
" I've never seen a hearse with a luggage rack" author unknown ( but I like him/her!)
Here's another one I live by: "Shrouds have no pockets."

I've tried not to think about it.

1. Complete kits for my wife and me. (Somehow I ended up with 3 full wetsuits, 2 pair of fins, 2 masks, 1 with scripted lenses) :D
2. Personal gear for 2 teenagers. (Suits, masks, fins, booties, snorkles, smbs etc)
3. Open Water certs for FOUR.
4. LOTS of gadgets and toys for FOUR. (8 lights, smb's etc)
5. Trip for TWO to Belize and Roatan.
6. Channel Islands Live-a-board for FOUR.
7. AOW certs for FOUR.
8. Trip coming up to Jamaica for FOUR.
9. Nikonos IV-A, stobes, lenses etc. (Found a deal I couldn't resist)
10. New housing for my Canon Digital

For God's sake, DON'T TELL ME!!!

If I really added up the cost for the 3 of us I would probably faint but spending time with 1 Pederson shrimp giving me a manicure mades the cost seem insignificant.

the problem for me wasn't the original gear purchase. it was a bit, but i wanted to do that rather than rent & thought the big $$ was likely behind me. and air, tank rentals, charters - that's accepted operating cost as far as i'm concerned. the problem is gear lust! i've been diving only since january & i'm on my third computer, have a bc i never use & 2 backplates, lots of useless hoses i've switched out, and am giving longing looks to din regs and drysuit and cavern class and and and... that's where i'm having trouble!

stopped counting when it entered 5 digits - ignorance is bliss.

Stop it! You folks are scaring me. My wife and I only have mask, fins, snorkel, and skin suits. She is going to do her class and pool work in March. I did my OW cert in September in Hawaii. I am contemplating my first scuba purchase. I haven't decided whether to buy a regulator first, or a wet suit suitable for Minnesota diving first. I guess we will have to accumulate our gear a little at a time. I travel alot for work, so at least I have alot of air miles to get us to places for diving. My relatives want to know what I want for Christmas and I have told them I want gift certificates from my LDS.

I could just go in to my Quicken SCUBA expense account and see the total I have ever spent on it. But I value my sanity too much to ever do that... :eyecrazy:

I sort of wish I hadn't started reading this thread. It made me curious, so I checked out my spending on Quicken and discovered the following:

Equipment (including computer, regs., BCD, wet suit, dry suit, lights, etc.):
$7400 CAN (about $6300 US at today's exchange rate)

Instruction (OW, AOW, plus a number of specialty courses):
$2500 CAN (about $2100 US)

It's more than I thought it would be, but still worth every penny. For one thing, it's more incentive to get every penny's worth out of the equipment and instruction by diving as often as possible! (Not that I needed any more incentive.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom