"Superday" in Krabi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huskychemist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Last weekend I got the chance to visit Krabi, for some wonderful diving. The visibility was a bit better than here in the Gulf of Thailand, and the diversity of life was incredible.

I did a "superday" of diving with three dives: King Cruiser Wreck, Koh Kiaew, and Shark Point.

A full report and pictures can be found here.

Some picture highlights: (And a critter ID or two, if possible.)

KingCruiser-LT-2008-02-22-009.jpg

A beautiful nudie on the sandy bottom below the wreck. I looked in my Nudibranch book and couldn't find anything like this. Any ideas? (Picture was cropped.)

KohKiaew-LT-2008-02-22-054.jpg

A Crown-Of-Thorns seastar.

KohKiaew-LT-2008-02-22-083.jpg

A lionfish, don't know which species. They were everywhere on all three dives, but I never got any really great pictures.

KohKiaew-LT-2008-02-22-091.jpg

This made me think of Jan Kocian's artwork. (To see more of his artwork, click here.) I can see his cartoon, with the caption, "A day at the ocean with dad, mom and the two kids."

SharkPoint-LT-2008-02-22-012.jpg

A "family" of moray eels on the reef.

SharkPoint-LT-2008-02-22-031.jpg

Some "egg-like" things that I have yet to ID. Any ideas?

SharkPoint-LT-2008-02-22-061.jpg

A feather star. None of my feather star pictures seem to match the pictures in my critter ID books.

SharkPoint-LT-2008-02-22-058.jpg

And lastly, a bluespotted stingray with a few "groupies." Alas, no sharks at shark point. But at least a few cool critters.

Until next time, Happy Diving.

Lowell

Lowell,

Wow, great pictures! I agree if you can get away from Krabi the diving is really good. Bida Nok is wonderful as well. How about that family of morays!

Arizona

Some "egg-like" things that I have yet to ID. Any ideas?

Until next time, Happy Diving.

Lowell

Plerogyra sinuosa or bubble coral?

Did you see the family of morays at Sharks Point? I remember seeing a whole colony last year. Hope they are hiding from the hungry banded sea snakes.

The nudi is a Risbecia Pulchella. They are often found in pairs "tailing" (following one-another head to tail) over the bottom and are fairly common in the Andaman Sea.

Thanks for the comments, and thanks for the Nudi id. Looking at my book, it seems more obvious now, but I glanced over this picture. In my "guess" I at least had the right genus...

Many thanks. I can't wait to get back to Krabi.

Cheers.

Lowell

Great pix! Good to see you had much better vis on the King Cruiser than we did. My lovely Dutch dive buddy misread the tide charts and we were there with a raging current that dropped vis to a few feet. Of course I still had a smile on my face when we surfaced... you should see my lovely buddy that day!

Is it better to stay in Krabi or Ko Phi Phi for these dives. I have been told it it too far from Krabi but hotels are cheaper on the mainland. thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom