Support your Dive shop- Local or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gee, I thought it only eliminates the mostly record company profits from CD sales; are artists really stopping their touring because of downloading?

My fault- shouldv'e been specific. Downloading eliminates CD sales. A small % of those sales went to a Fund that for 50(?) years paid us musicians to give free "summer in the park" band concerts. These are drying up. Sorry to get off topic.

Not to start a debate, but a quick review on the internet seems to indicate that 100% of the shops I checked also have a storefront presence, big or small. The original poster does, and so do we. So, that being said, who exactly are we supposed to promote not supporting?

Not to start a debate, but a quick review on the internet seems to indicate that 100% of the shops I checked also have a storefront presence, big or small. The original poster does, and so do we. So, that being said, who exactly are we supposed to promote not supporting?

I will not name any names...but there are LOTS of internet only Retail Scuba Websites. Some claim to offer classes, but they do maybe a handful a year just to be able to sell products. Some are out of Living Rooms in the guys house.

I would love to see some student numbers from some of the shops that do classes.

This thread was not designed to NOT PROMOTE anyone or point fingers. I bet if you think about it, you will think of some :wink: Alot of people have a storefront...A warehouse even has a storefront ( yes, I just learned how to italicize) :rofl3:

Not starting a mob Indian Valley :wink:

All good my friend, all good. Let's keep doing what we're doing, and keep the movement in a positive direction.

Dave

Mike, What's your position on manufacturer price fixing? If you are in favor, how does it benefit me as the customer?

What's your position on manufacturer price fixing?

We don't sell for any Manufacturer that tells us what we have to sell a product for. They can do what they want, and have their rules....and I can choose not to sell their products :wink:

I don't see what the hubbub is about it. If the dealer doesn't like the policy, don't sell it. If the customer doesn't like the policy, don't buy it. There are too many choices out there to fart around with policies you don't agree with or waste your time whining about them :wink:

Mike, What's your position on manufacturer price fixing? If you are in favor, how does it benefit me as the customer?

Remember, there's a difference between MAP and MARP.

Just because it's advertised at a certain price doesn't mean they have to sell it to you for that advertised price. Phone calls can work wonders :)

Also, if you notice, DRIS has a business plan in effect that helps get around that stuff anyways. He's got a rewards points program going on, which as far as I know does not violate any dealer-manufacturer contracts and yet gives an incentive to the customer, just like advertising lower prices does. So if you can't advertise a lower price, get creative :) I think a few online retailers are missing that point.......people buy online because it's often cheaper AND quicker(most shops I've been too don't carry large stocks and need to special order a lot of what I buy). Just making an online store and selling stuff at brick'n'mortar pricing with no incentives doesn't really help their situation of "Adapting to the new business model."

So, sometimes I buy from a local shop(recently 2 regs and a new SW Predator).......sometimes from DRIS and sometimes from Leisurepro. Depends. They're the ones who choose to support me, the customer, and that's the reason I buy from them. I'm not going to go buy crap from any dive shop just because I feel bad about them not having food on the table.....gimme a break. Loyalty goes both ways.

I just went to your web site, you have an online store. Sounds like a case of kettle / pot to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom