Support your Dive shop- Local or not

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just went to your web site, you have an online store. Sounds like a case of kettle / pot to me.

LOL>...I think you have missed the whole point of this thread. You are right, I do have an online store....I also have a Brick and Mortar Dive shop....We don't just sell out of our living room or kitchen. We create students, book trips, actively find new dive locations, AND also support in the online forums, great pricing online, and some of the best service.

There is no pot calling the kettle anything. What I was saying is that customers need to support Dive Shops, whether they are online dive shops, local dive shop, or both. Supporting someone that doesn't give back to the dive community doesn't help any of us.

I really think you misunderstood everything that has been typed so far :wink:

Not at all. What Mike is saying is that for a shop to be successful they need to have both. The local shop I teach through www.diveworld.us has an online presence and sells gear through it as well. He also has 6 instructors from 3 different agencies that use the facility. We all support the shop but myself and at least 1 other instructor utilize online resources as well. I may want to go out and dive with DRIS sometime, or drop in and just say Howdy. I bet I get a good deal from them if I decide to buy something while I'm there.

I have a post in the Business to Business forum asking if any shop would like to increase their customer base by working with independent instructors from SEI. Mike is one of those who would welcome it! I also have an article coming out in Currents ( SEI's leadership newsletter) on how to work with a shop, how to approach them, the attitude to take, etc. All of it is geared towards supporting local shops. Those who would choose not to work with us have only themselves to blame when we send our students elsewhere for personal gear, bc's, reg's, even trips. It is much easier for me to see DRIS advertise a trip to the keys or Bonaire and give him a call and see if there's room for 5-10 more.

If yes, I'm betting I get a break for bringing him the new business. Same as if I lead a trip for the shop I teach thru. The owner sets it up, he cannot go, I lead it. My trip is free or reduced. A shop that supports local divers and instructors gets supported in turn. Those who do not don't. I've got two new regs coming from DRIS.

I watch his trip page every so often. If a student wants to go to BF Egypt and my shop is not going there but Mike's is I'll refer them. Why not? Plane fare is usually included in trip prices but not always. So what if one of the spots he books is taken by someone from Pittsburgh and they meet the rest of the group at the destination. Everyone is still happy. The group number meets the resorts requirements( Mike gets his trip portion comped!), my student gets his wish, plus meets new divers!

Next time I post I'm going to East BF Egypt maybe he'll refer someone to me who will fill my group out. We need to work together. On line and off. In this economy it;s the only way we'll survive.

Damn Mike, You beat me to it!

"We need to work together. On line and off. In this economy it;s the only way we'll survive."

Jim: You are right on the spot with your comments.

At Apollo we have a clean price list, every Retailer can see the best pricing. We allow internet sales, we list all our Dealers, and their websites.

We have continued to grow, even in this tough economy.

We do all need to work together. You have a great attitude and so does the store owner you teach through. I'll be looking for your article in Currents.

I've long been a big proponent of supporting local businesses, for several reasons. One, the local shop is there in your area, meaning if you need something the day before a big event, you have that resource to draw upon. Some online retailers might manage an overnight shipment to you, but it's going to be iffy at best and costly as well. Two, supporting local businesses helps keep the local economy healthy. Your dollars are helping pay local wages, local taxes, etc., and helping to foster an environment where businesses can not only survive, but possibly even thrive. Three, you can build a relationship with a local business that quite often is impossible with an online retailer. The shop owner gets to know you, gets to know what your preferences are, what kinds of stuff you already have, and offer suggestions and advice that fits your situation.

We tend to think of "more bang for our buck" as meaning simply getting a better product for the same price, but we do have to look at the peripheral "bang for our buck" that we can get from a well-run local shop. It's not just the product delivered we should be evaluating for overall value, but the customer service and convenience factors as well. Yeah, maybe I can buy the same thing from Behemoth.com's online store for less, but I find the benefits of my local shop to be worth the extra money I spend when patronizing their shop instead.

Yeah, the classes, the dive trips, the freedom to just hang around the shop and check things out, someone who recognizes us when we walk in the door, and makes us feel like part of the group. That's worth paying a bit more for, because it's a human way of doing business. With a good shop, you don't just get a retailer, you get a relationship.

So you guys are saying I shouldn't patronize Willie's Wetsuit City, Karl's Dive Knives, or what ever other similiar company because aren't full service, but I can buy from you online because you offer trips, training, and advice services ect. that I am unlikely to use.

So you guys are saying I shouldn't patronize Willie's Wetsuit City, Karl's Dive Knives, or what ever other similiar company because aren't full service, but I can buy from you online because you offer trips, training, and advice services ect. that I am unlikely to use.

I am not telling you to do anything. I am simply stating that some people do more for the sport than others. Support those supporting your Hobby.

Example:

There are 2 shops in town....same pricing, same products, same service....and the both own a quarry...Good, because you like to dive.

One of the shops quarries has more stuff in it. They routinely go out of their way to clean the underwater attractions and add new stuff for you to look at while they play Jimmy Buffet on the underwater speakers.

The other shop just takes your money and buys a Hummer with Lambo doors on it.

Who are you going to support? Where will you buy your equipment? The guy working hard for you or the guy doing nothing for himself? One is trying to further the sport AND make money....one is trying to make his wallet fatter.

Nobody is telling you where to buy. The wetsuit maker might also be donating 10% of each purchase to a Save the Reef fund or something....or donating money to sinking the Vandenburg 2.

If you had 2 choose between 2 wetsuit companies...everything is equal except one donates money BACK into your sport of diving...puttin your money back to work for you....which would you choose?

I am not telling you to do anything. I am simply stating that some people do more for the sport than others. Support those supporting your Hobby.

Example:

There are 2 shops in town....same pricing, same products, same service....and the both own a quarry...Good, because you like to dive.

One of the shops quarries has more stuff in it. They routinely go out of their way to clean the underwater attractions and add new stuff for you to look at while they play Jimmy Buffet on the underwater speakers.

The other shop just takes your money and buys a Hummer with Lambo doors on it.

Who are you going to support? Where will you buy your equipment? The guy working hard for you or the guy doing nothing for himself? One is trying to further the sport AND make money....one is trying to make his wallet fatter.

Nobody is telling you where to buy. The wetsuit maker might also be donating 10% of each purchase to a Save the Reef fund or something....or donating money to sinking the Vandenburg 2.

If you had 2 choose between 2 wetsuit companies...everything is equal except one donates money BACK into your sport of diving...puttin your money back to work for you....which would you choose?

The guy providing me the best value, which isn't likely the be the guy in the Hummer or the guy piping in the Buffet tunes underwater.

This is what I was looking for. Some people just want value and money in their pocket.

Another reason nothing is made in the US....its cheaper to have it made elsewhere.

So, based on my scenarios I quoted, you would not support the guy growing and making your hobby/sport more accessible/fun?

Remember we are not talking about this costing you more money...same price at both shops and....lets say LeisurePro, as everyone associates them with cheapest pricing.

Thanks for the feedback!! It truly is appreciated!

I think we all should buy local "when we can". I have 3 LDS and have made purchases from all of them.I've also purchased a wetsuit from LP.

The difference:
LP gave me the suit and a few extra items (that I don't need or use) for a good price.I needed the suit quickly and received it in 3 days.My LDS couldn't get the suit for at least 2 weeks.Luckily the suit fit well and I was pleased with my purchase.It showed up on the porch in a box and everyone was happy.Fine.

On the other hand,one LDS recently topped off my personal tank and didn't charge me for a rental that wasn't used on an aborted dive.Another LDS held a Halloween dive at a local quarry.Food and on-shore entertainment were furnished and my offer to "pitch in" was declined.I can stop by any of these shops just to look,ask questions,talk diving,or just shoot the breeze.I learn more about diving and meet more people to dive with.

To me,the LDS is a far better investment than a box on the porch.Sure,I got what I paid for online and was satisfied.But what I've gotten in "extras" from the LDS makes it a no brainer.

This is what I was looking for. Some people just want value and money in their pocket.

Another reason nothing is made in the US....its cheaper to have it made elsewhere.

So, based on my scenarios I quoted, you would not support the guy growing and making your hobby/sport more accessible/fun?

Remember we are not talking about this costing you more money...same price at both shops and....lets say LeisurePro, as everyone associates them with cheapest pricing.

Thanks for the feedback!! It truly is appreciated!

If you equate value with price, I guess you are correct. Value is usually neither the lowest cost, the highest quality, or the highest level of service for most customers. Value varies with the customers needs on every item. Would a geek need much in the way of a lower quality computer and higher service? Doubtful, but being a computer incompetent a lower quality computer with some service would be desireable and I would consider both the level of service and the quality with the price in making my selection.

Should I select as value the charter donating his profits to sink the wreck or the charter who opts to lower his profits by putting an extra DM in the water and keeping his AEDs, O2 and other first aid stuff in top notch condition?

And since you mentioned imported stuff, you can search my posts and discover I purchased a US manufactured Reg and it was a consideration in the value of the product along quality and cost.

The repair facility I have chosen to service this reg is neither an authorized dealer, overpriced local LDS, or a $49 special shop and is the one I trust to service the reg at a reasonable price with a high quality of service. I had to research to find the value I desired - they just service regs. I am really hopeful they wont be distracted by what went wrong on a trip, at the quarry, or selling equipment and get my reg service done right the first time. I really don't know what causes, if any, they donate to and it's not a factor in my decision.

As an experianced consumer, I have no problem balancing price, quality and service in making my selections. Jimmy Buffet music under water? I can skip that one every time.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom