Supporting your local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ringmiller:
I think that in this world of let's buy it cheap that if you don't buy from your LDS you are soon to have only one or two outlets and then they can really jack up the price. Lack of competition is not a good thing in the retail world. And on another thought, Why do snow skiers boast about having thousand dollar jackets (that are for show mostly) and scuba divers boast about having paid five dollars for a reg at a garage sale (that is hopefully going to help you breath)?

Exactly. Lets buy a cheap outdated reg from a garbage sale and think it can be refurbished and hope it breaths well. Its our life we are dealing with. Some don't care either way i guess.

ringmiller:
I think that in this world of let's buy it cheap that if you don't buy from your LDS you are soon to have only one or two outlets and then they can really jack up the price. Lack of competition is not a good thing in the retail world.
Gas stations have proven that theory wrong. I'm old enough to remember gas wars, where stations would lower their prices constantly to try to beat the competition across the street. These days there are gas stations on every corner ripping off the public because they can get away with it. Most of the money I spend on dive gear goes to my LDS, but if I find a big ticket item for a lot less online, I'm going to support LeisurePro.

Grol:
Oceanic product for example extend their lifetime warranty if product is bought throught a recognize dealer/distributor (Alliance Dealer).Scubapro has the same policy, lifetime upgrade parts for the entire regulator. All you have to pay is the labour(at your local diveshop).If you buy a reg on the net, it is at the discretion of the local dive shop to cover your reg under the policy of the specific manufacturer.So you have more to gain on the long run from buying a reg at your local diveshop than from the net. Mares has a 2 year warranty on parts, USD Aqualung 5 Years.

Just to clarify a small point about Mares. The Mares Warrenty here in Canada for Reg. is 25 years, not 2 years. If you purchased your Mares Regulator from an authorized dealer, you will have had included with it a booklet or large sheet of paper that has 25 square section printed on it. The authorized LDS fills in one section every year when you take the reg in for its annual service. The reg MUST be serviced annually for the warrenty to be valid, and you pay only the labor charge which is a $25.00 flat rate regardless of problem at the LDS I work with. If you purchased a Mares Regulator in Canada and did not get the 25 year warrenty info, I would suggest you have a little talk to whom ever you purchased it from.

RonFrank:
Compressors have come WAY down in price. The air fills that we all say can't make any money.. well I don't believe that for a second.

I agree 100%. We have our own compressor setup and our own gas mixing station. Our air fills run about $1.25 a fill for a set of double 80's. If I were to walk in to a shop off the street and get these filled than it would cost $10. Seeing I go through at least 60 fills a year that is a savings of $525 a year. The compressor cost $2500 to buy and set up. There are 5 of us that went in on it. It was paid for in the first year.
There is money to be made on air. Besides, air gets divers in the shop. Although I do buy online sometimes, I rarely leave the shop empty handed. The first question out of my wife's mouth when I get home is "What did you but and how much did you spend?"

JK

If you lioek your LDS enough to spend $150-$200 more for a computer, BC or other large ticket item than from an online store, why not just buy it from leisure pro and then pop over and give the LDS $100 in cash? You would still save $50-$100 and I guarantee when you need service, the LDS would be glad to help their "benefactor"

sharpenu:
If you lioek your LDS enough to spend $150-$200 more for a computer, BC or other large ticket item than from an online store, why not just buy it from leisure pro and then pop over and give the LDS $100 in cash? You would still save $50-$100 and I guarantee when you need service, the LDS would be glad to help their "benefactor"

Because that's not how retailing works. The more products you sell, the bigger discounts you get, and the better service you get from your supplier.

That $100 is nice, but in the long run the results are similar.

Better yet. Go buy online and give someone (i.e. me) the $100 :wink: I'll be glad to help you any way I can. I'm sure I'm more customer friendly (and probably more knowledgable) than a lot of shop owners out there. If enough people do this, I could even throw in a couple of free air fills.

sharpenu:

Just my two cents worth being VERY new to diving. I have 2 local dive stores. The people in both are wonderful and I love going in and talking with them. "granted one of them scared me by giving me info that was false" but the people are still decent and honest. But my neighbor who bought all of his and his wifes equipment from them the day he completed his OW brags about how since he spent so much money with them they give HIM a 10% discount on all he buys. Well this neighbor is an aero space engineering manager with the airforce. I'd guess that his income is considerably higher than mine. I could not have afforded to purchase all of the equipment up front as he did. And it kinda irks me that since he has more money he was offered special discounts that I was not. "We both took our classes at the same Dive store" So I did what I could to afford, which was mainly buying on ebay. My 1st purchase was a 7m wet suit, same brand as my LDS carries, they do not even carry the top of the line from this brand and I got the top of the line suit for over 100.00 less than they are charging for the mid level suit. Next I bought a OS systems dry suit on ebay, I paid 205.00 for the suit, and 2 sets of fleece under garments. New 1600.00 The suit was worn 5 times by a man who found he has a heart condition and can no longer dive. Its in PERFECT condition. Next I bought a brand new still in box Apeks Black Pearl, which is basically an ATX200 but the fancier looking 30th anniversary model. I paid 450.00 LDS wants 699.00 for the standard ATX200 "Plus tax". Next I bought a Suunto Cobra with quick disonnect in mint condition with 3 dives on it, and paid 425.00 LDS wants 799.00 without quick disconnect. BCD I purchased brand new on ebay from a man who won it in a raffle at his local dive shop. My shop does not carry it but I got it for 280.00 I think. retail its 585.00. Bottom line is although I like my local dive shop and want to support them as much as possible, my income does not allow me the luxury of needlessly throwing money at them. Had I waited to pay their prices it would have been 2 more years before I could afford to have purchased all of that. I saved about 2200.00 GRANTED I did not get the luxury of a warranty on all of the items. Some did have warranty some did not. But I've never ever bought or regretted buying an extended warranty on anything I have ever purchased. In my experience if you buy quality goods from a top rate manufacturer, most defects will be noticeable immediately not 25 years down the road. And the BAD part about it for local dive stores which may be what they need to change, IF my equipment breaks, or needs serviced they will happily take it in and fix it for the same hourly charge that they would charge if you bought it from them and it was out of warranty. Honestly I do feel bad about not being able to give them the business but the reality of it is if I want to continue to dive and do it with good equipment I simply cannot afford to do it locally. And whats really surprising is my neighbor has NEVER even looked on Ebay and had know idea until I told him recently that we have 2 dive shops withing 5 miles of each other. He thought there was only 1 in our area. I guess being poor forces you to look at your alternatives.

In my area we only have a few lds'. I have looked at purchasing with them, but they were just so far out in pricing I had to go with Scuba Toys. The LDS was going to charge me more for one set of incomplete gear then I paid for two complete sets. I also tried just getting some refresher time in the pool. This cost me $100, for an hour of pool time.

I understand that they have to make money, but do they have to make it all off of me?
I want to support loacal business, but I still have to protect my wallet some. I don't mind paying some higher prices, but more than double is a little ridiculous.

So I may try to find a place closer to the ocean for my future purchases, otherwise Larry will be hearing from me a lot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom