Surface Equipment Raft/Float?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Martinpo

New
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi, thanks for the assistance!
First, what would be the generic name of those surface rafts which you tow above you and secure your dive flag and additional equipment via bungies and/or straps?
Second, I saw one never seen before hopefully someone knows. Hard plastic, tan colored, about the size of a boogie board. Maybe a 4" draft, and straps and d-rings. Even remove able shoulder straps for easy of carry. Pretty neat but did not catch up to the spearfish diver in time to get a Make or Model. Any ideas? Thanks all!

That's it! Thanks, Friend!
I knew it would worth breaking my 5 yr lurking status!

Around here folks just use a tractor innertube. You can buy an adapter to blow it up with air from your tank. Let the air out at the end of the day and it's easy to throw in your car trunk. A half dozen bungee straps an you can hang all the gear off it you want to.

Plastic milk crate with swim noodles zip tied to it and a 1/2" piece of pvc pipe for a dive flag pole.
Dirt cheap to make and easy to find the materials. They can hold a lot of stuff inside and you can clip things to the outside and attach as many d rings to it as you want. It is nearly indestructable and you never have to worry about an innertube getting a leak.

Aqua Craft, long gone, used to make an inner tube cover and I loved those. Mine sadly is also long gone. I may have given it away to a friend ages ago. The cover incapsulated a truck inner tube, carried a flag and had a zippered top area to put stuff. I think that Scubapro makes something similar for spear fisherman but it costs a fortune, the Aqua Craft stuff could be afforded by a poor student.

Of course, just saying, there is always a paddle board or my preference, a SOT kayak like the Scrambler 11.

N

Hi, thanks for the assistance!
First, what would be the generic name of those surface rafts which you tow above you and secure your dive flag and additional equipment via bungies and/or straps?
Second, I saw one never seen before hopefully someone knows. Hard plastic, tan colored, about the size of a boogie board. Maybe a 4" draft, and straps and d-rings. Even remove able shoulder straps for easy of carry. Pretty neat but did not catch up to the spearfish diver in time to get a Make or Model. Any ideas? Thanks all!
NRS makes a river tube... Basically a trailer truck sized tube made of pvc, but with a very thick nylon denier cover which zips around the pvc. Pvc has 2 independent air chambers. Denier cover has multiple d rings and mesh center. Very useful to tow gear if you have a real sit-inside sea kayak.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom