Surface Freak Out (kind of long-winded)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jumpfrog:
Just as an aside (I don't want to drag this off-topic), I got fitted with the smaller BC (I think) in response to my questions about possibly getting a BP/W rig for myself, since I often felt uncomfortable in jacket-style BCs...I don't like the fact that I have a lot of stuff about my middle, and they don't really stay in place in the water (always adjusting). I wanted his advice, but he dismissed the whole idea of BP/W for a novice, occasional diver. He said that we could try a smaller BC so that it would feel more trim. Now, I am not saying that this was the cause of the chain of events at all. I now know what it feels like to have a too-tight BC instead of too-loose (too loose is much better!)

But now I have really kind of blown whatever credibility I had at the LDS, so I am sure if I show up with a BP/W set up I am going to get very little support, but a lot of dubious stares and so on (I'm a chick, and a single diver, and that makes it worse from the get-go.) I think going out again the next day was a good start, but I have a long way to go...
Based on the above, I think it's your shop employees who have the credibility issue.

Putting someone into a jacket-style BCD that's too small will certainly induce the sort of issues you experienced ... they should know that.

There is nothing wrong with a BP/W for the new, or the occasional, diver. It's simply another form of BCD that some people prefer. As with all scuba equipment, it offers advantages and disadvantages. Rather than making generalizations, they should be explaining to you what those are (sounds like they don't know) and allowing you to decide which type of equipment is best for you based on knowledge rather than platitudes.

I suspect it's more the case that they don't sell BP/W's and therefore want to talk you into buying a product that they DO sell ... that's usually why shop employees dismiss certain types of gear as "inappropriate" ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Original poster,

You asked if anyone had experienced something similar and gone on to be a competent diver. I think I fall into that category. I had a panic attack on the surface in choppy conditions (4'-6' swells) in Key Largo. It was awful. I think I posted about it here when it happened, so I won't re-post.

I went on to log dozens more dives. I'm AOW and have logged 50 dives. I actually had trouble with equipment on a dive after that Key Largo incident. And I am happy to report that I stayed *calm*.

I jumped in the brink holding my face mask (with my right hand) and my gauges with my left. Well, my flashlight was hanging on a cord on my right hand. As soon as I reached the water, the light whipped up and wrapped around my hose for my regulator -- while still attached to my wrist. I worked for a second to try to figure it out. But right away I lifted my head and yelled for help. (Maybe that wasn't the right thing to do.) Anyway, so while I did that my light actually slipped off and sunk to the bottom. That left me floating by myself on a night dive with no light. I raised my head, shouted to the boat "I lost my light!", ifnlated my bc, and just floated on the surface focusing on breathing easily. I knew they'd send out help (we were on a live-aboard) -- sure enough, very soon I heard the outboard of the inflatable raft heading my way.

Did I mention that in all of this hoopla my mask flooded? Oh right. I think that's actually what triggered most of the mess. I was trying to clear my mask. That left my light dangling -- and maybe a current, or just buoyancy wrapped it around my hoses? I don't recall. I do remember that I couldn't see, couldn't clear my mask, and then my light fell. Can you picture what a dumbass I felt like?

I'm happy to report that I stayed calm. I went back to the boat. I cleaned my mask, caught my breath, and went back in and had a fabulous dive. Sure I was embarrassed because the people on board saw my whole stupid fiasco. But not one person gave me a hard time.

Arizona:
Jumpfrog,

First, thank you for sharing your experience. This is a great way for us all to learn. I am sure you will have many posts following mine. It is hard to second guess, but maybe the DM should have stayed with you until you reached to boat as the conditions sounded less than ideal. As an Open Water diver your are responsible for your kit which should include a signaling device.

Have you considered packing a whistle? Regardless if you rent or own your BCD, you should make sure one is available so you can signal at the surface if you need to.

Your breathing difficulties could be related to Carotid-sinus reflex (http://www.mermaidscuba.com/lingo.shtml), which in short is your bodies response to excess pressure around your neck. The body slows the heart rate in response to pressure and can make you feel air starved.

"I was wearing a rather heavy wetsuit, and at the dive site I decided to add a vest, since it had a hood, and I get cold easily. I don't know if it was the vest or what, but my breathing felt a bit constricted on the surface..."

I can't be sure, but that may have added to your uneasiness. Things just built up as the conditions proved to be less than ideal. Double check the equipment for a good fit and consider buying your own if you have not already.

Let us know how your other dives go.

Arizona
Can I say how happy I was to read your post above. I too have had that similar issue and thought I was losing my mind. Well that's still debatable but... My hood while it fits fine on my head, the feeling of it around my neck and tightness, I always feel air starved. I do fine tropical diving in my shorty and no hood. But with the 7 mm out here and a hood, it's hard. I kept thinking I was just panicking but to be in any choppy surface or do a surface swim, would make me freak out. Even on the boat I can't stand the hood. Something to work on......lol.....

cruisegirl:
Can I say how happy I was to read your post above. I too have had that similar issue and thought I was losing my mind. Well that's still debatable but... My hood while it fits fine on my head, the feeling of it around my neck and tightness, I always feel air starved. I do fine tropical diving in my shorty and no hood. But with the 7 mm out here and a hood, it's hard. I kept thinking I was just panicking but to be in any choppy surface or do a surface swim, would make me freak out. Even on the boat I can't stand the hood. Something to work on......lol.....

Glad I could help. For what it is worth, I just bought a Mares Icon. It fits great, and is very easy to pack. It sounds like the BCD is not the issue, but if you looking for comfort with good lift this could be the ticket. It is wing/back plate like.

AZ

Just a thought - if your BC is fully inflated, that can really squeeze you. You may have been overweighted or had a BC with too little lift. Related - you had a lot of neoprene - you may not have needed all that to stay warm - especially the hood.

I had a guest panic on the surface some time back in the Keys while leading a group. His issue was much the same as yours and it was the BC that was too tight because of over inflation.

I had a similar experience when I added trim pockets to the tank band on my old jacket-style BC. The extra weight pulled the BC up, so that the chest strap was in the wrong place, restricting breathing pretty severely. I didn't even realize this was what had happened, just felt complete and utter panic. A dive buddy came up and undid the chest strap, which relieved the pressure; I had gotten myself too worked up to continue the dive, though, so I returned to shore on that one.

Uncomfortable, unfamiliar gear issues are the number one panic inducer for me. Now, if I don't have my Transpac, I don't dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom