Suunto Cobra Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

has anyone ever actually sent a computer to Suunto ? or is the norm "you" just send it to an authorized dealer, and "they" replace your computer , and it never makes it to Suunto

Most authorized dealers will call Aqualung who issues an RMA. The dealer must fax the customer's sales receipt to Aqualung to show it was purchased from an authorized dealer. It goes to Aqualung who usually replaces it with a refurbished unit (though sometimes they fix it). Aqualung will send it to Suunto for repair/replacement and it becomes a refurbished unit.

The Cobras and Gekkos had an issue with pressure tranducers last year (both PSI and depth), the shop I service tech for has had one Cobra and a couple Gekkos come in.

An annual service that I do on the Suunto computers is to change the batteries, set the date/time, check and replace O rings as needed, then take it on a 200' foot dive in a pressure pot for 1 minute, bring it up to 60', let it sit for 10-15 minutes to check for slow leaks, then bring it up fast to test the ascent rate alarm. I stop at 15' to test the safety stop counter, then surface. 20 minute dive, max depth 200'. Most shops probably change the batteries and hope you don't flood it.

I have had similar problems with my Vyper. Every hundred dives or so, it doesn't turn on untill I'm at 10 feet, then it reads 10 feet shallower than the real depth. A quick soak in diluted vinegar solution and it's fine for an other hundred dives.

I burned out the pressure sensor in my cobra but I had over 400 dives on it in just over 2 years.

My shop has had quite a rash of problems with the gekko, cobra and vyper. In all over 20 computers sent back. At DEMA we talked with the Suunto people from Finland. The said there are pockets of places that are having troubles with computers. They have found microscopic mositure in some cases not from flooding but production. It shouldn't be a problem we're told but is. They are working on recreating this in there labs. They believe it's an enviromental issue and believe they can fix it once recreated. I'm not sure what happens in our shop that is different than the one across town which has had no problems. There are no problems with the mosquito, vytec and d6 d9 series. Also many areas are having no problems at all. Hope they come up with an answer. Good news is they are aware and are replacing them with out a problem.

Cheers,
Rich

Well if some one from Suunto wants to go diiving with me I will be more then happy to recreate it for them. Since I took it to Key Largo, I can reproducec it on every dive. I have e-mailed Suunto, and "they" e-mailed me backed and told me to have my local authorized dealer send it to them( Suunto). My local authorized dealer said that "it NEVER gets sent back to Suunto" for a personal repair
Yeah, I guess I have learned a VALUABLE LESSON, I purchaced my Cobra from an Instructor at the store I dive out of ( he sold it because he didnt like it), and I do not have the original reciept for it.

I would try to send it back even without original receipt. This is a known issue and there is a good chance they won't push the issue with you. Worth a try at least. The squeaky wheel gets the grease and this deserves attention from Suunto.

I hear ya. I been waiting to hear what other SB experiences have been. Im going to e-mail Suunto again, and try to get a return authorization, I dont know what Aqualung will do.

Thanks Richard, for the heads up on a known problem. It should help things along

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom