Suunto Cobra Qualifies for warranty but no proof of authorized sale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DMprogar

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My depth sensor needs to be replaced and I purchased my computer in Feb 07 at an authorized aqualung seller. I'm aware that I am still under the pro-rated extended warranty. However, the only receipt I have isn't itemized and only has the date of sale, shop's name, and the amount I paid. I can't get in contact with the shop or it's owner because they went out of business and the phone numbers I have for the shop and the owner are all disconnected. It has also been pointed out to me that when the serial number is searched in the aqualung database, that there is no record that it was registered through that shop to be sold. This has become a doubly wammy and I would like to give my shop the benefit of the doubt and that there might have been a mix up but I'm also concerned and was cheated out of my money since I was told I was purchasing a new computer and paid for a new Suunto Cobra. If anyone could help or give advice or anything I would appreciate it. I know it looks like I'm SOL but if I can get to the bottom if this and see where the mistake happened or even if it can be fixed would be great.

I have heard (but can’t prove) some authorized dealers are getting back door (new) equipment from the internet and selling them as fully warranted and covered items.

mjscuba,

yes, I'm actually working through the one in IL in Villa Park. I was there this weekend visiting family and I decided to stop there to try to sort things out. They still have my computer until further notice.

Is it also possible since the shop has gone out of business, that when the serial number is searched in the aqualung database that now the shop won't show up because the shop in fact doesn't exist any more?

So the unit does not show in thier data base as being sold to the shop you bought it from, but what shop does it show up as being sold too? Something is fishy--they know what dealer they sold it to--they should at least tell you: it is or is not registered by a consumer, it is or is not recorded as distributed to a dealer, and if so, at least the state that they shipped it too. In otherwords, they should give you evidence to dispute your sales receipt.

That's what I was confused about. I thought Aqualung would have records on their side atleast that would narrow it down. I spoke earlier with the shop that has my computer right now (Underseas Scuba) and I explained to them that I found out the shop I bought it from (The Scuba Tank) has gone out of buisness. Underseas said for me to email them the reciept that I have and they might be able to work something out. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom