Suunto Cobra Simulation Mode Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

czervos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi-
I'm trying to play with the Simulation Mode on my Suunto Cobra and having some trouble. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong so any help would be appreciated. When I enter the Sim Plan mode, I can set my depth and see my NDL but nothing else. I've read in the manual that if I press the Plan and Time buttons together I should be able to enter a surface interval, but for some reason, I can't seem to. Also, from what I understand, the simulation should "walk" me through the dive at 1/4 time. No such luck for me. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Chris

To simulate a dive at 4:1 time, you want to be in SIMDIVE mode, not SIMPLAN.
After you have SIMDIVE displayed, press select (Mode with "Select >" label displayed). Then use the time (down arrow) and plan (up arrow) buttons to input depth changes. I get a running display simulating a dive at whatever depths I manipulate to, with air starting at 2901 psi (200 bar converted with rounding) and dropping at some assumed SAC rate, per the manual (never bothered figure out what that SAC is).

After you "surface", and quit back to "2SIMUL", use (up) to SIMPLAN, and "select".
You can then enter a SI mm:ss. Then if you go back to SIMDIVE, your simulated second dive's simulation will include nitrogen loading history of your first dive and the SI.

I believe SIMPLAN can also be used after a real-life dive (or series therof) to simulate adding an SI and exploring NDL for a planned subsequent dive, but I've never played with that.

That explains how it should work much better than the manual. Thank you. However, when I go to SIMDIVE mode, the up and down arrows don't allow me to change depth. The up arrow/ time button, takes me to the time and temp display similar to when you are in dive mode. Silly question- are there firmware updates available that I possibly don't have?

That explains how it should work much better than the manual. Thank you. However, when I go to SIMDIVE mode, the up and down arrows don't allow me to change depth. The up arrow/ time button, takes me to the time and temp display similar to when you are in dive mode. Silly question- are there firmware updates available that I possibly don't have?

When you get to SIMDIVE mode, try pressing and holding the down arrow button for a couple of seconds. A momentary push-release invokes the alternate time/temp display, same as a real dive. But after you're at a simulated few feet of depth, a quick push-release just drops you a foot. Don't ask me why, I didn't design it.

BTW, I decided to do a simulation and calculate the SAC rate used for the air consumption simulation. Assuming a nominal al80, it's 0.75 cfm.

Ahhhh haaaaaa! Thanks a bunch! I was pressing it momentarialy instead of holding. Here's another question- when simulating a series of dives, is there a way to "switch to a fresh tank"?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi-I'm trying to play with the Simulation Mode on my Suunto Cobra and having some trouble.
Good luck. I've never been able to make any sense of the simulation modes on either of my Suunto computers - with the instruction manual right in front of me. I've given up trying.

I agree the manual is no help at all. I finally figured it out with the help of Reefduffer. Read above in this thread, it should help.

Hello Chris and Reefduffer. I'm the California rep for Aqua Lung/Suunto. I'm sorry I haven't been here for a while. ReefDiver; you've done an expert job in answering Chris' questions re. the Simulator mode. Personally, I believe this is one of the most powerful features of the computer. The ability to plan a couple of dives without getting wet is fantastic; it helps you plan your dives prior to departure. I teach my dive shops to master this one technique because it really does teach the novice what to expect before they ever take it diving. Most consumers have no idea what the computer is going to display and where if not for the simulation mode. When I teach it, I instruct my students to set max depth alarms, dive time alarms, MODs for nitrox diving, and I'll run them through deco dives so they recognize what it looks like if they ever encounter one. It's really a terrific feature. Chris, there isn't a firmware upgrade to answer your question. The rest of your questions sound like they've been answered by Reefduffer. If you have any others just let me know. Cheers.

Last edited:
Chris, Thankyou for sending me via email, the url to this thread. I know we both posted the same question on another website, with no luck. I did email Suunto, and the answer they sent to me was of no help at all. However, I do find that reefduffer solved our problem! I was able to go through the instructions easily. Thankyou reefduffer also! It does seem that we need to run our tank out, rather than add a new tank. As the manual states, it is nice to become familiar with the Cobra through these simulations. I have used mine on 18 dives, nice instrument. I cannot hear my alarm though, as I noted on two of my ascents I was coming up faster than the computer liked! I wish we could increase the sound of the alarm, but I understand that we aren't able too. I suppose we need the silence of a rebreather, since holding our breath is out! Thanks a million and happy diving! bagpiperdeb (on the other forum)

Good luck. I've never been able to make any sense of the simulation modes on either of my Suunto computers - with the instruction manual right in front of me. I've given up trying.

I have Suunto Vyper and like the simulation mode a lot. It's very easy: you just press one button to descend and another to go up. Allows you to see what the display will show on any dive, even if it's too risky to do in real life.

In fact this one feature would keep me with Suunto for my next computer.

Adam

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom