Suunto Cobra

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajaxord:
What is conservative vs. way conservative? Is this subjective or objective? Does your shop sell Suunto by chance?

No, if someone wants something that conservative, we have the RGBM M1 that we sell. Since Suunto does not allow any internet sales without voiding the warranty, we made the decision not to sell them. As I said, they are good units, but we felt with the range of algorithms we carry from Uwatec, Aeris, Sherwood, Genesis, Tusa, Dive Rite, etc we had a large enough spread of computer choices... so I can't help you with a suunto. To get your full warranty, I'd suggest you see what your local shop can do for you.

RICoder:
Suuntos use RGBM, albeit slightly customised for their equipment.

Most Suunto computers (I’m not sure about the D9) are NOT truly implementing the RGBM model. They are really dissolved gas, aka Haldanean, computers just like Pelagic Pressure Systems computers (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood etc.). The Suuntos do change the Haldanean model limits on repetitive dives in response to such things as short surface intervals, exceeding 30 m, fast ascents, and reverse profiles. In normal recreational profiles, this modification of the Haldanean model is a reasonably good emulation of RGBM, but it is not true RGBM.

If you want true RGBM, you’d need an HS Explorer.

Sorry to go off topic.

I have a Cobra and love it. I have about 90 dives on it and it has never malfunctioned. It is more conservative than some other computers, but it has never been a problem for me. The manual, which is available on the Suunto website, has a table of dive times for various depths. If you compare this to whatever tables you are using you can see for yourself how conservative it is.

LDSumpter17:
I am in the market and would definitly be interested at a reasonable price
New, in the box w/all paperwork.
$450, will ship in US

Vie:
Most Suunto computers (I’m not sure about the D9) are NOT truly implementing the RGBM model. They are really dissolved gas, aka Haldanian, computers just like Pelagic Pressure Systems computers (Oceanic, Aeris, Sherwood etc.). The Suuntos do change the Haldanian model limits on repetitive dives in response to such things as short surface intervals, exceeding 30 m, fast ascents, and reverse profiles. In normal recreational profiles, this modification of the Haldanian model is a reasonably good emulation of RGBM, but it is not true RGBM.

If you want true RGBM, you’d need an HS Explorer.

Sorry to go off topic.

That's the part where I say "albeit slightly customized." :-D

I know this thread is about the Cobra but I was just curious if anyone knows how it compares to the Sherwood Wisdom? Are they configured with the same algorithyms? Any similarities and/or differences?

I looked at the Wisdom also. I can't speak for the algorithyms, but the reasons I chose to go with the Cobra.

I have seen a few postings of the Wisdom failing at depth and so far have not seen this from the Cobra. A dive shop in Crystal River did tell me that they had some trouble with their earlier models but seemed to have the bugs worked out of it.

Also, the Wisdom has two buttons for programming compared to the Cobra's three. The extra button allows you to back up if you make a mistake in programming. The Wisdom you would have to scroll all the way thru the menu's to make the correction. I don't have any expierience with this myself....it's just what I've been told.

Hope this helps.

Oceanseleven:
I know this thread is about the Cobra but I was just curious if anyone knows how it compares to the Sherwood Wisdom? Are they configured with the same algorithyms? Any similarities and/or differences?

The Wisdom is made for Sherwood by Pelagic Pressure Systems (whose parent company is Oceanic/Aeris). It uses a modified Haldanean algorithm which is more aggressive than Suunto’s “RGBM.”

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom