suunto d9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup your right don't know why I thought you could get an air intergrated stinger. But anyway the full titanium stinger is over $850 US at best without any where near the features of the D9 so it makes it quite a decent price at $1400 with compass transmitter and download managed and usb cable for data transfere which are all extras with any ohter model. A vytec for example is $900 with a transmitter if your lucky enough to pay that price then you still need the download manager and a compass, it also doesn't have an adjustable algorythum or deep stops and isn't made of titanium with a mineral crystal lense. Add all of this and it's well worth the extra $500. Just my opinion as I have them all the cobra, stinger, D9 and vytec

I practiced the searching and mapping techniques with the compass and the light last evening by myself, Yup, “Alone” It was awesome dive.

As to the compass, I agree that the compass should be recalibrated every use for the assurance. I don’t spend that much time this computer yet due to the horrible weather. So, I can’t give any thoughtful review, but there are some cons (please correct me if I miss something from the manual).

1. A relative short period display: without pushing “up or down” button, the display time in the compass mode is only about one minute. So, you have to push the “select” button every minute to keep the compass mode, even after locking a bearing. Of course, this shortcoming is only applied to some types of diving. Maybe, I expected too much for the scientific diving purpose.

2. Like any other analog (?) compasses, the digital compass MUST be located on the horizontal level. Otherwise, it shows the reverse (180 degree) direction. It might be ok after getting used to do it. LOL, it is $1775 computer.

3. Unlike the ordinary compass, the right direction of compass is only seen in direct the above the computer, not staying ahead of head. Again, if you break the horizontal level, the direction is in the reverse way. This part was a really PITA to me.

4. When push “select” button to engage the compass, it should be long “push.” Otherwise, one push button engages the “Bookmark” function in your diving mode. Yeah, it was another pain with 5 mm glove. Accidentally, I created unintentional seven bookmarks.

That’s it.

Don’t forget. It is only about the digital computer feature. I don’t find any complaints yet except the lack of gas switching feature in underwater.

hoosier:

Don’t forget. It is only about the digital computer feature. I don’t find any complaints yet except the lack of gas switching feature in underwater.

Gas switching underwater is accomplished by pushing the "up" button >2 seconds while in the Nitrox mode. The compass is convenient in good visibility, but I still find myself more comfortable using my SK7.

Hey Snakedr,

What are you talking about? I mean "gas switching with another transmitter."
I never tried, but I was told that Suunto doesn't have "Gas switching function with the transmitter in underwater."

[font=바탕]http://www.scubaboard.com/t88406-to-suunto-vytec-users.html[/font]

Please let me know if you have tired this.

snakedr:
Gas switching underwater is accomplished by pushing the "up" button >2 seconds while in the Nitrox mode. The compass is convenient in good visibility, but I still find myself more comfortable using my SK7.

hoosier:
Hey Snakedr,

What are you talking about? I mean "gas switching with another transmitter."
I never tried, but I was told that Suunto doesn't have "Gas switching function with the transmitter in underwater."

[font=바탕]http://www.scubaboard.com/t88406-to-suunto-vytec-users.html[/font]

Please let me know if you have tired this.

I have switched gas mix between three differant mixes underwater, but you are correct the D9 only uses one transmitter. There really is not much need to have a transmitter on you deco gas. You post just said gas switching, not that you wanted a transmitter on on each cylinder.

Seems like Suunto's S/W quality control sucks......maybe they should get some new programmers while they are at it. How complex can these programs be???. The Mosquito also went through this.

Im struggling to see the need for a digital compass here.

When it was annouced, my 1-yr Stinger all of the sudden looked old and worn.

When it became available, the price was exorbitant...then came the recall because of the software glitch...

Now they are available en masse (at least in Hong Kong USD 1200 or less incl. transmitter). Had to have it...bought it and will be taking it for a first dive trip next week....Stinger as a backup, just in case the fancy software has other problems...

From my dry-try I would have to agree that the compass is mostly a gimmick, I would not replace my analog one with it.

I bought it mostly for air integration and a halfway decent USB/software solution...

What irks me is that it does not have a Night Dive mode for the backlight. The Suunto t6 training watch even has it - meaning the first random button push activates the backlight and then the button work as labeled.

I love night dives put having to long push to see how much air I have left while my flourescent SPG does a much better job is ridculous.

Maybe it can be solved through a software update...

I will update after my trip to the Philippines...

String:
Im struggling to see the need for a digital compass here.

I agree! From the point Suunto is able to located and track the dive underwater it's interesting to have a digital compass. But for this you need a GPS systems, which will work underwater (the current one isn't). If you compare the D9 with the VYTEC of Stinger, I see no difference. Same tool, same software.

David Bolowiski
DreamDives
http://www.dreamdives.org

spsc:
I agree! From the point Suunto is able to located and track the dive underwater it's interesting to have a digital compass. But for this you need a GPS systems, which will work underwater (the current one isn't). If you compare the D9 with the VYTEC of Stinger, I see no difference. Same tool, same software.

David Bolowiski
DreamDives
http://www.dreamdives.org

just got back from costa rica diving w my d9 and i totally agree about the compass comments, total gimick bs. if its electronic, i dont see why it cant breadcrumb navigate back to the point of origin. dont get me wrong, everything else on the watch is great but i paid 1275 for the watch and transmitter when i would have been just as well off with a pro plus 2 or something half the price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom