Suunto D9tx - compass not working; repair price?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wibble

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Changed the battery in the Suunto D9tx watch sized dive computer. All fine regarding watch & dive computer functions.

However, the compass isn't working and hasn't been for a couple or years or more (never used it as it was a bit of a toy in comparison with a proper compass or the Perdix). When put into calibrate mode, the dot stays stationary, when in compass mode it doesn't move.

Can one assume that the guts are shagged and Suunto will need to replace the spod rod and gangel pin (made that up) which will cost the GDP of a small country?

Will someone surprise me that it's $100 and not much more?

Good question. Had ass-u-me d that they won't talk to the unwashed masses and would only work through a shop. Will try an email/message and see if I get anything other than "send it to us and we'll quote you for $€£60".

Changed the battery in the Suunto D9tx watch sized dive computer. All fine regarding watch & dive computer functions.

However, the compass isn't working and hasn't been for a couple or years or more (never used it as it was a bit of a toy in comparison with a proper compass or the Perdix). When put into calibrate mode, the dot stays stationary, when in compass mode it doesn't move.

Can one assume that the guts are shagged and Suunto will need to replace the spod rod and gangel pin (made that up) which will cost the GDP of a small country?

Will someone surprise me that it's $100 and not much more?
Hang the spod rod on a skyhook and use a left handed screwdriver to adjust the gangel pin with 30ml of elbow grease. Should do the trick.

In Europe they no longer repair Dx watches, just offer you a 30% discount on a new one.
Kind of dissapointing for a 1000 euro "luxury" dive gear.

Why don't you ask Suunto?
There's no online way that I can see to get a quick estimate of what it could cost. They've an online process to send it back to them for €$£41 but, to be honest, it's not worth that as the compass was pretty crap even when it did work.

(When I started diving I thought it was the bee's knees. More experience has turned me into a bit of a cynic! Small watch-sized LCD screens are awful underwater unless you're in super visibility; otherwise you need a torch to see the screen -- backlight's not strong enough, etc.)

In Europe they no longer repair Dx watches, just offer you a 30% discount on a new one.
Kind of dissapointing for a 1000 euro "luxury" dive gear.
Thanks -- I suspected as much.

A 90% discount on that would still be too much!

Thanks -- I suspected as much.

A 90% discount on that would still be too much!
I work in electronics and if you want I can have a look and try to see if it's fixable.
I wont charge you anything to try if you are willing to pay for shipping to Portugal.

Cheers

I work in electronics and if you want I can have a look and try to see if it's fixable.
I wont charge you anything to try if you are willing to pay for shipping to Portugal.

Cheers
Thanks for that kind offer.

As it's an old dive computer and the compass functionality's very secondary, it's probably best to leave it as is.

Good question. Had ass-u-me d that they won't talk to the unwashed masses and would only work through a shop. Will try an email/message and see if I get anything other than "send it to us and we'll quote you for $€£60".

There's no online way that I can see to get a quick estimate of what it could cost. They've an online process to send it back to them for €$£41 but, to be honest, it's not worth that as the compass was pretty crap even when it did work.

(When I started diving I thought it was the bee's knees. More experience has turned me into a bit of a cynic! Small watch-sized LCD screens are awful underwater unless you're in super visibility; otherwise you need a torch to see the screen -- backlight's not strong enough, etc.)
I'm used to excellent service from Shearwater and Oceanic/Huish, have never owned anything Suunto

My Teric is extremely easy to read, under any conditions

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom