Suunto depth sensor failures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can sue for anything, winning is another story though.

As a person of reasonable intelligence who is properly trained you should be able to determine if your gear is in proper working order. Further, you Scuba training should have given you the skills to return safely to the surface in the even of any piece of gear failing you (especially if you are diving with a competent buddy).

You would need to prove that the manufacturer did something wrong not that the item they built failed.
I disagree with that. There was no way for me to know the computer was giving bad non-deco times. It was by a fluke that one day I was looking at the manual and comparing the table in the manual to the dive planner on the computer and saw the discrepancy. It's also not something likely to have developed over time as it resembled a software problem. And I have no idea if this could have caused a dangerous dive as I don't recall now if the the computer was more or less conservative because of that.

It's certainly not reasonable for a consumer to run simulations to see if the computer is reading right. One just assumes the computer gives the right numbers.

Adam

Adam

People here don't seem to understand how dive computers work. A dive computer can fail, even during the warranty period, even if there is nothing intrinsically wrong with it.

People have a belief that if the device fails, there was something terribly wrong with it to start off with. Not so.

Depth sensors, for example, have a tendency to fail. Every batch of depth sensors will have a failure rate, for example 10% (it could be 1% or 20%).

The manufacturer knows this, and has little choice. The sensor lifetime is still quite long in most cases, so there is usually no way for the manufacturer to determine the failure rate before shipping out a large production run.

People here will argue that the manufacturer 'knows' that some units will fail, and thus should replace them even before their warranty expires. Sure, but replace them with what? Another product that also has a 10% chance of a sensor failure, or another product that could even have a greater chance of failing? Think of the problem. 90% of the units will not fail. If you have a unit that has a 90% chance of surviving and you expect it to be replaced even though it never failed.... and you expect it to somehow be replaced with something that has a 100% success rate, a product which doesn't exist.

Eric Fattah
Liquivision Products

Eric, I really hope, for your company's sake, you are not in the marketing department. Here is a good slogan: "Buy our computer, because there is a decent chance it MIGHT work." Come on, seriously?? I think the point was, and I could be wrong, that if there is a "known" issue with a product, then the manufacturer should be a bit more forthcoming about it. This is not just a matter of the possibility of general product failures. I would agree that manufacturers, and consumers for that matter, do know that there is a certain failure rate that is going to occur with any product, which is the whole point behind a warranty. But if there is a known issue with a particular product or component, that is a different story. I do not know for a fact that a known issue exists for this product, but that is what was inferred earlier in this thread and if that is the case, then I think the author has a valid argument. I would hate to be relying on safety equipment that "might" work. Just my 2 cents.

BTW, I am actually in the market for my first dive computer and have been looking into the Vyper wrist-mount. I have heard pretty good things about it, but will keep on researching! ;-)

UWATEC UWATEC UWATEC UWATEC =)

From what I've heard its tough, its cheap (mine was anyway), its not pretty at all but it has an IR interface for hooking up to your computer and unlike Suunto, no extra $100 for the USB cable =)

I hope when you research your dive computer you read better than you have here. There is no known issue. The people that claimed this refuse to support their accusations. And a couple failures does NOT represent a trend. Obviously you people have nothing to do with Production runs of any product or statistical quality control. Product fails. For crying out loud......there are a couple of problem units listed here and all of the sudden the Suunto Devil is ending the world on purpose. BC's fail. Reg's fail. Cars fail. Dishwashers fail. Masks fail. Heck I have had a toothbrush fail. Welcome to reality and prepare for disappointment because you people are never going to like what you get.

Eric, I really hope, for your company's sake, you are not in the marketing department. Here is a good slogan: "Buy our computer, because there is a decent chance it MIGHT work." Come on, seriously?? I think the point was, and I could be wrong, that if there is a "known" issue with a product, then the manufacturer should be a bit more forthcoming about it. This is not just a matter of the possibility of general product failures. I would agree that manufacturers, and consumers for that matter, do know that there is a certain failure rate that is going to occur with any product, which is the whole point behind a warranty. But if there is a known issue with a particular product or component, that is a different story. I do not know for a fact that a known issue exists for this product, but that is what was inferred earlier in this thread and if that is the case, then I think the author has a valid argument. I would hate to be relying on safety equipment that "might" work. Just my 2 cents.

BTW, I am actually in the market for my first dive computer and have been looking into the Vyper wrist-mount. I have heard pretty good things about it, but will keep on researching! ;-)

Posted via Mobile Device

Likewise ScubaSteve...you obviously did not READ my post either. LOL. Did you miss the part where I said "I do not know for a fact that a known issue exists for this product, but that is what was inferred earlier in this thread and if that is the case..."???? Apparently so. I have noticed that you seem to comment without completely reading or maybe understanding the posts you are replying to. I never implied that Suunto was the "Devil". If you really read my post you would have seen the point(s) I was making. My point was simply that if a product fails because of a "known" defect, I would expect the manufacturer to own up to it. If a product just simply fails, outside of the warranty period, then the manufacturer has no liability. I agree that products do just simply fail, be it from lack of quality, misuse or just an anomaly. People do need to realize that a manufacturer is not responsible for general product failures outside the warranty period. I am so glad you pointed out that the reality is that things fail, because I really didn't know that. Wow, you are so insightful. As for the toothbrush failing you, you may need to seek help outside this forum, as I am sure nobody here can provide the help you need. But seriously Steve, I don't mean to sound insulting. But your posts do seem to indicate a pattern of just flaming people for their opinions.

Start with the good stuff....

But seriously Steve, I don't mean to sound insulting. But your posts do seem to indicate a pattern of just flaming people for their opinions.

I am really OK with your opinion here. It does not offend me in the least. I am not a :baby: so you can feel free to have whatever opinions you want.

Likewise ScubaSteve...you obviously did not READ my post either. LOL. Did you miss the part where I said "I do not know for a fact that a known issue exists for this product, but that is what was inferred earlier in this thread and if that is the case..."???? Apparently so.

The problem I have with this whole part is that if there is no known issue then WHY even mention it. All you are doing is helping to spread lies about a manufacturer IMO. Having said that, I will admit to having misread your post slightly because I was stuck in traffic when I read it. Generally speaking though, I still stand by my post.

People do need to realize that a manufacturer is not responsible for general product failures outside the warranty period.

And the people in this thread (some of them) have made it clear that they are not prepared to provide Suunto that position.

As for the toothbrush failing you, you may need to seek help outside this forum, as I am sure nobody here can provide the help you need.

Well, if you post it in the right spot here on SB, you would be amazed at what people can help with. But maybe I will do a search for a ToothBrush forum so that I can accuse the manufacturer of knowingly making a faulty brush and demand the world in return.

I just purchased a Suunto Cobra 3. I am curious which Cobra is the one in question? Is it a Cobra 2 or a Cobra 3? The 3 hasn't been on the market that long so it may be a stupid question.

LOL. First, I am glad you are not offended. ;-) Second, I was very clear that I was not aware of a specific "known" issue. Third, you are absolutely correct....some people will never accept the fact that something will stop working at some point. The manufacturer tells you up front that they guarantee the product to work for a specific period. Consumers have no excuse for not knowing this. Lastly, I can recommend a toothbrush if you need. ;-)

Steve, for the most part I agree with you...you are always going to have those people that feel burned by a company and they will do their best to trash that company (especially in forums). I was trying to point out to those individuals that a company is only responsible for product failures during a warranty period and / or if the company knows there is a defect, in which a recall would have been initiated. However, as you have stated, there has been no evidence here to suggest that Suunto has a known issue with a specific product. And, as I mentioned in my first post, I am looking into buying my first dive computer and am seriously considering the Suunto Vyper.

No hard feelings here either. ;-)

I do not know for a fact that a known issue exists for this product, but if that is the case...

I do not know for a fact that miker625 beats his wife, but if that is the case...

:shakehead:

Back
Top Bottom