Suunto Dive Manager

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's why I listed it as minor :). It is a nice feature.

If you can find where to set that, I'd really appreciate it. Especially if I can go back and "rename" my dives.

Meister481:
To see your tissue saturation at the end of the dive click the profile at the end of the dive, it will show it to you. My SDM 2.3 shows the the date in MM/DD/YYYY, so there must be an option somewhere.

ReefGuy:
The Profile view and Saturation graphs are very nice.

What I don't like:

Most of the important information regarding a dive are under the "Dive details" tab, except for length of dive and average depth, which are under DC Settings.

When upgrading from 1.6, the dives went from being listed in American format (mm/dd/yyyy) to european (dd/mm/yyyy). For me, at least, that's very confusing.

When printing, a date prints across the top of the page. Not the date of the dive, which would be nice, but the date printed, which I could not care less about.

When printing, dives are printed out of order, so when printing several dives, they have to be manually ordered.

When viewing dives by location, boats, dive buddies, etc, I cannot select a dive and see the profile (minor issue).

When selecting a dive, tissue saturation displayed is for the beginning of the dive, I'd rather end of dive be displayed (another minor issue).

FWIW, you can set default cylinder working pressure, just click on the dive log name (first item on the list, above all dives).

I have printed any dives yet. I can see where these little minor things could cause frustration.

The tissue saturation is given for every depth, just click on the profile and then arrow across and you can see the saturation levels change as the dive progresses, right up until the time of surfacing.

Thanks for the info on setting default cylinder workingpressure. That one thing was driving me batty :)

An instruction manual would have been nice, too.

Glad to help, but quid pro quo, how do I fix the printing problems :)

scubamickey:
Thanks for the info on setting default cylinder workingpressure. That one thing was driving me batty :)

I can't help with the printing, but as for the log names / date, check to make sure your computer's date format settings are correct (Start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options).

You can then quickly rename all your log entries by clicking the log name (the top item in the top-left pane), selecting the "Dive log" button / tab, then under "Set dive log name", change one of the drop boxes, then change it back to what you need it to be, then click Set.

FWIW, I can't imagine how MM/DD/YYYY would make more sense -- to me it should always be either biggest to smallest (YYYY-MM-DD) or smallest to biggest (DD/MM/YYYY). But *shrug* to each their own.

My regional settings were correct, but resetting the dive log names did the trick. Thanks! That ability is new with 2.3.

Frankly, it didn't bother me which method it used, but having both was very confusing.

KrisB:
I can't help with the printing, but as for the log names / date, check to make sure your computer's date format settings are correct (Start -> Control Panel -> Regional and Language Options).

You can then quickly rename all your log entries by clicking the log name (the top item in the top-left pane), selecting the "Dive log" button / tab, then under "Set dive log name", change one of the drop boxes, then change it back to what you need it to be, then click Set.

FWIW, I can't imagine how MM/DD/YYYY would make more sense -- to me it should always be either biggest to smallest (YYYY-MM-DD) or smallest to biggest (DD/MM/YYYY). But *shrug* to each their own.

I have the Mosquito, and both SDMs verions (1.6, 2.x) seem to work fine.

SDM 2.x has a somewhat more complicated user interface, and seems to manage shared lists of sites and such better.

However, in the end I use SDM 1.6 for one simple reason: 2.x seems entirely geard to the new Suunto model computers, and is cluttered with piles of crap in the displays my Mosquito does not have, and the computer simulated display is no longer customized to the model (it no longer looks like what I see on the wristtop).

So, SDM 1.6 works for me, and appears much better aligned to my product ... won't switch till 2.x developers remember there are other models out there than the last one sold ...

Cheers,
Walter

wcl:
I have the Mosquito, and both SDMs verions (1.6, 2.x) seem to work fine.

SDM 2.x has a somewhat more complicated user interface, and seems to manage shared lists of sites and such better.

However, in the end I use SDM 1.6 for one simple reason: 2.x seems entirely geard to the new Suunto model computers, and is cluttered with piles of crap in the displays my Mosquito does not have, and the computer simulated display is no longer customized to the model (it no longer looks like what I see on the wristtop).

So, SDM 1.6 works for me, and appears much better aligned to my product ... won't switch till 2.x developers remember there are other models out there than the last one sold ...

Cheers,
Walter
wcl: if it's any consolation, the display doesn't look like the D9's either...

I really don't blame Suunto for going to the standardized look -- the old one was misleading, because the wristop likely would never show the same data as the simulated one. This is because the PC only has data from whatever your recording interval is set at (usually defaults to 30 seconds, IIRC), and the wristop has live-time data.

It is a little annoying that the things like temperature and remaining air don't correspond better to the older models that only recorded a few such points (my Cobra records temps at surface, max depth and end of dive; and air pressure at start and end of dive)... but ultimately, the stability and general improved quality made me pick 2.3 over 1.6.

Hey All,

I have been using Ver 1.6 and I am keen to use version 2.3. But I have a few reservations. Firstly, I have recently reformatted my PC to do some upgrades and saved all my dive logs into Excel ( I recall them being in Suunto's Dive Log format, so I did a backup of both) Now when upgrading, would it be better to install 1.6, import all the data and then upgrade to 2.3 and hope that all the dive info is auto-updated?
Also, is there an upgrade path from 1.6 to 2.3? Suunto's site has been down for days recently and I have not been able to get any info. Infact, I cannot even downlaod any new SW until the kick off again. Which reminds me, does anyone know of any other mirror sites for suunto SW?

Thanks

KrisB:
Moving a bit off topic:
I don't think MM/DD/YYYY makes more sense, any more than I think the "Imperial" measuring sytem is better than metric. ...and isn't English considered the 4th or 5th most dificult language? However, since I (only) learned English, and am used to dates in a particular format, and familiar with one measurment system... it would be handier (for me) if the rest of the world switched to my (perhaps worse) way of doing things.

From a business standpoint, if you want US business, you have to satisfy US consumers. I'm not completely happy with the Suunto software, but I'd say it is decent. A worthwhile improvement to the Suunto 2.x software, would be if the dive manager could show what was on the display of the computers other than a D9.

...and most important of my comments in this post, the Cochran software is lousy! I bought a Cochran Commander on eBay, and will eBay it again soon ...based just on the post-dive software. Even their newer software is old, and they want me to buy it as an upgrade to the software that came with my computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom