Suunto Gekko - Dive Download ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

usb is 45€ and seriell is 20€ (suunto is more than twice the usb price of the "fake"). both guaranteed to work and from the no.1 supplier for these cables in germany as far as i know

mocca:
usb is 45€ and seriell is 20€ (suunto is more than twice the usb price of the "fake"). both guaranteed to work and from the no.1 supplier for these cables in germany as far as i know

What's that in Real money? ( USD ) :D
try here http://www.customidea.com/hr-usbdive1.php

They've been out of stock recently - but there's a greedy bast@rd on ebay selling the same thing for ~10 pound more, I think he bought out the entire stock!

Well, my cable just arrived and I am using a USB-Seriell Adapter.
But I keep getting "Interface not found" in the "Vyper2Gekko incl. dll" program.

Do I need to adjust certain settings?

com11wt7.jpg

The program shows me COM11 in the drop down menu but as soon as I click on it it says "Interface not found".
If I select COM3, which is in fact not in use at all it starts searching before telling me interface not found.

On the COM11 I get it right away.

I now also tried starting the SDM and letting it just look for the Gekko (unpatched).
It also recognizes the COM11 via the serial adapter and the little LED on my cable actually lights up!
It does not light up however when using the Gekko2Vyper tool. I guess the tool isn't adressing the USB-seriell adapter correctly or rather not adressing it at all.

Any suggestions?

Using this cable http://www.smartinterface.de/artikel.php?id=4&kat=1

And tried using this http://www.tinxi.de/product_info.php?products_id=317

So, does the Suunto program try to do the download and then error out or does it just 'search'?? I need to check but the problem is likely in the comport component of gekko2vyper, it doesn't like com ports greater than 9 IIRC. The easiest way to fix it is to go into Hardware Manager -> Ports Com/LPT -> " select port" -> Properties -> Advanced
Then change the com number to a number less than 10.
Double check ALL conections.

Let's see.
Well, I will try the COM port again later and set it to a lower number.

But I also tried using my old port replicator ( http://www.targus.com/us/CategorySearch.asp?SearchedTerms=pa090&Action=Go ) which is automatically set as COM 4 and it opened the port but couldn't find the interface.
Didn't make the cable LED blink either.

So I am guessing that your program somehow doesn't accept "fake COM" ports. I do not know why, but the SDM seems to have no issues with either USB-seriell devices but Gekko2Vyper hates em both.

Has anybody actually ever managed to get the Gekko2Vyper working with a usb-seriell adapter? The first few pages of this thread seem to indicate that you have to do the hack with a real COM port (at least the first time). So might there be something wrong with the hack itself?

If you have some kind of test program you would like me to run on my adapter in order for you to check the values/replies of the adapter, then just let me know.

The contacts all seem fine and I have fiddled around a bit with it.

So it's definitely the interaction of Gekko2Vyper and the usb-seriell adapters.

EDIT: OK, just tried it again. Gekko set to PC SET and entered of course.
Then opened the SDM and let it look for the device. LED light up. Of course nothing was found as it is still a Gekko.
Kept SDM running and staid in the setup wizard and then opened Gekko2Vyper additionally. Now the Gekko2Vyper managed to make my interface cable's LED light up. Did NOT show the Couldn't Open COM port nonsense. But did not find the interface either :(

So one step forward, but not quite there yet.
The SDM seems to open the COM for the Gekko2Vyper program (which seems to not work properly with adapters) but the Gekko2Vyper then still cannot find the interface itself.

mocca:
Let's see.
Well, I will try the COM port again later and set it to a lower number.

But I also tried using my old port replicator ( http://www.targus.com/us/CategorySearch.asp?SearchedTerms=pa090&Action=Go ) which is automatically set as COM 4 and it opened the port but couldn't find the interface.
Didn't make the cable LED blink either.

So I am guessing that your program somehow doesn't accept "fake COM" ports. I do not know why, but the SDM seems to have no issues with either USB-seriell devices but Gekko2Vyper hates em both.

Has anybody actually ever managed to get the Gekko2Vyper working with a usb-seriell adapter? The first few pages of this thread seem to indicate that you have to do the hack with a real COM port (at least the first time). So might there be something wrong with the hack itself?

If you have some kind of test program you would like me to run on my adapter in order for you to check the values/replies of the adapter, then just let me know.

The contacts all seem fine and I have fiddled around a bit with it.

So it's definitely the interaction of Gekko2Vyper and the usb-seriell adapters.

So far You're the only person out of a lot to have an adapter problem, I'm sceptical, but serial to usb adapters have more problems than other methods so it may well be.

set the Dive computer in "PC- SET" and run both the Suunto DM and the Gekko2vyper, as it searches for the interface you should see 'arrows' blink on the dive computer screen just over the two buttons if they don't blink then the problem is the connection.

ok, dont' know whether you saw what i added to my post while you were writing.

anyhow, i checked and nothing lights up on the dc when i run the gekko2vyper. BUT the arrow above the left button (PLAN) lights up once (!) when I let the SDM look for it.

So I guess that means the connection is ok? Or would both arrows light up the whole time when a Gekko is connected which has not been hacked and is hence not being found by the SDM?

I'd get rid of the USB - rs232 adapter for now and try to get things up and running with the Minimum of complexity.
The Suunto program Should issue an Error - "Invalid computer type for this action(104)".
Don't use the 'standard' method of starting a download ( clicking the computer icon ) either,
instead right click in the "Dive Computer" window select "connect' -> Vyper and that will open the old style "Transfer" window.

easier said than done :(

notebooks don't have serial ports anymore.

so i will need to find someone 20th century enoguh to actually still own a desktop computer. people nowadays only have notebooks :)

mocca:
easier said than done :(

notebooks don't have serial ports anymore.

so i will need to find someone 20th century enoguh to actually still own a desktop computer. people nowadays only have notebooks :)

So you bought a RS232 Cable and neither your system nor anybody you know Owns a box with a RS232 port? Does the term "stupid cheap" have any meaning for you? :shakehead

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom