Suunto Gekko - Dive Download ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman:
The problem now is I can't seem to find a way to reset the Vytec/ flush the memory to start from scratch and I loath thinking of sending off to Finland... Will the DCEraser work for the Vytec? What's the command line? if my Vytec is connected to say Serial port #7 then should I run cmd "dceraser.exe - port="COM7" " ?

many thanks!

edit: oops, took a closer look at the XML output. Can make sense of most of the data but can't seem to figure where the depth field is. is that the Diveprofile "Datum" field. Got some odd numbers there which I can't make sense of.
12,9,7,9,1,1,-2,0 ......

You're welcome, glad it helped.
DCEraser is a windows program and should run from the 'start' menu ( or desktop) not the command line. It is packaged in a 'Wise for windows' selfinstalling executable and will be shown in the start menu under 'JCONN'. Once the program is running select the proper comm port from the list box, it automaticly updates itself for all available ports. Click the 'Do It' button and that's it.The program will report status upon completion. It has never been tested on a Vytec, but I've tested it on the gekko and vyper. I'm about 99% sure it'll work fine as they use identical memory models.

The Datum tag in the downloaders output is the dive profile. Each "Datum" tag is the info written at a single sample, On the gekko/cobra,vyper,vytec this is a single number, it can be more. There are also "Event" tags in the profile, they are the 'bookmarks' listed in the manual. The computer doesn't actualy store the depth in the profile, data is written from start of dive as a 'Delta' of the depth from the last sample.

If we use these numbers as Datum points 12,9,7,9,1,1,0,0,-5,-5,-4,0,0... and assume you used a 30 sec sample rate then it reads : from the surface, in the first 30 sec you went down 12 ft, the next 30 sec you dropped 9ft more, then down 7ft, ect. A negative number means you came up that many feet. In the above sample,You went down to 39 ft over a 3 minute period, stayed there one minute then came up to 25 ft over a 1 1/2 min period and stayed there for 1 minute.

CIBDiving, thanks for the explaination... makes sense now :wink:

Well I'm gonna make one last desperate attempt to uninstall SDM 2.3, try an older version to see if I can still get to all the data in my vytec (pre Sept 4 06). If not, then I'm gonna install DCEraser and zap it clean and hope it'll behave thereafter... :D

Last question- "divedata starting pressure"... I see 99 for example. I presume that's half a bar (i.e. x2 to get reading in full bars), correct? and divedata ending pressure half bar reading as well?

pakman:
Well I'm gonna make one last desperate attempt to uninstall SDM 2.3, try an older version to see if I can still get to all the data in my vytec (pre Sept 4 06). If not, then I'm gonna install DCEraser and zap it clean and hope it'll behave thereafter... :D

Last question- "divedata starting pressure"... I see 99 for example. I presume that's half a bar (i.e. x2 to get reading in full bars), correct? and divedata ending pressure half bar reading as well?

Be sure to back up the D9.mdb database before you uninstall SDN 2.x.!

You are correct sir! Pressure readings are in 1/2 bars. It could be worse - in the computer itself depths are actualy stored as 1/128 ft :shakehead I fix those before they get outside though.

Good Luck.

CIB,

thanks again for all your help. Well, oddly I was finally able to download what was left of my dives from my Vytec... but I still suspect the data got corrupted in the computer so I've gone ahead and zapped the memory with your DCerase program :D

Has anyone had a "Transmitted data was corrupt (101)" error in Suunto Dive Manager 2.3?

I can set my Gekko into Vyper mode with the Gekko2Vyper tool and that seems to work fine but in SDM 2.3 when i 'connect' and initiate a transfer it'll error out after 5 seconds or so with this error. I know the connection itself is working as i can reset max depth and things like that from SDM. I cannot seem to download dives though.

Any ideas?

The DC shows up as version 10.0.0, my SDM is 2.3.0.136 and i'm using a CustomIdeas USB cable (That i know works) if that makes a difference.

How are you initiating the download? Are you using the "left click on the 'computer' icon", or the "(right click in window)->Connect->Vyper method" I'm not sure it'll matter but try both. I do have a tool that'll dump all the memory, but it's not ready for release yet. You would have to do all the reconstruction by hand, in hexadecimal.

One thing you can try is to get a copy of ver 1.x ( i think 1.6 is the newest) of the SDM and give it a try - another person on this board had some luck with that method. Import the 1.x file into 2.3 and than use the DCEraser program to reset the gekko's memory back to factory new.

Tried both methods of connecting. The right click and connect option just gives me the 'Corrupt' message where as the left click option actually talks to the computer and lists serial number and whatnot but cannot find any dives to download.

Tried SDM v1.6 but that does not seem to get any further than v2.3

I think i might try clearing everything on the DC with your program and starting from scratch.

**EDIT**
Ok, after erasing the memory i don't get any more errors and it seems to work properly (In both versions of SDM and connecting both ways) but i can't verify this as i have no dives to download. I'll try and 'fake' some dives in a swimming pool of something so i can be sure.

I'll report back.

CIBDiving: Your last version of the gekko2vyper is working very well! Thanks!
If You refresh your other programs, please tell as here, we waiting for it.

Enjoy Your tank!

Just reporting back to confirm that after a memory flush with SuuntoEraser, my Gekko is now fully downloadable in SDM 2.3 (Both ways of connecting) and SDM 1.6.

Good job CIBDiving, your Gekko2Vyper and Suunto Eraser seem to be working perfectly for me.

Back
Top Bottom