Suunto Gekko vs. Suunto D6 which is better for me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Or do Trimix, or use VPM, or do real RBGM. How many gas switches does it allow?

Thank you everyone for all of your input. I went ahead and ordered the Gekko. After hearing everyones opinions I feel that it is the right fit for me. Thank you again!:D

Rainer:
The Gekko allows 42 gas switches. Great little computer!

Interesting. The Suunto catalog (page 39) says it offers none. The Vytec and the D9 offer 3.

Can you point us to where your information says the Gekko offers 42?

One of the reasons I went with a Vyper is the ability to move it from a wrist boot (which it's in now), to a console boot. The Vyper will be my primary diving computer for this year, and most of next. After that, it's getting installed in a console (the bare console is around $25). All I need to do then is just add a good SPG and I have a backup. The replacement will probably by a wireless Vytec or D9 system (probably a Vytec, since the D9 is a bit pricey).

Since I make no deco dives at present (i'm sure this will change in the near future), if both the primary and backup computers go out (unlikely, but possible), all i'll need to do is immediately end the dive with a normal ascent and safety stop as usual.

I did notice on other thread where everyone was expecting to see "saturation" levels, much like the Oceanic does, instead of a "redudant" CBT (to me, its a graphical representation of no deco time - but could be mistaken here, give me time to play around with the computer first to be sure). At first, I was thinking the same thing, it needed a saturation level, but then on thinking about it further, it occurred to me that the CBT is the "dynamic" saturation level allowed before decompression. If it were "static" then a saturtion level at let's say 60ft. would be the same at 15ft in reguards to bottom time still available. The saturation level is the same, yes, minus some offgassing during a slow standard ascent, but as the depth decreases, the partial pressure of the nitrogen drops. This causes the CBT to decrease since at shallower depths, saturation occurs more slowly then at greater depths. This can be misleading since it looks like the diver has just gone from a "I can only be down here for another 2 minutes at 75ft." to "Wow! I can be down here another 30 now at 15ft". I'm not a RGBM tech-whiz by far, but i'm thinking the extra time comes from this:

current saturation + X = end of no deco time where X is the current saturation potential at the current depth. When the diver goes up, the pressure drops, saturation slows and the CBT increases.

It is a strange way to look at it, since the CBT should be based on current saturation levels, with additions made based on nitrogen % in the current mix and current depth. So the algorithms should take into consideration the previous depths before dropping CBT (to me, just a graph for the remaining no deco time) - which I believe is how it works.

I wouldve liked to have seen the following on the computer though:

1) a button click to switch between CBT and total saturation.
2) a built in "remaining air time" calculation that would work like this.

At the start of the dive, the beginning air pressure would start at 3500psi. After a few button clicks you set the pressure (left button - and right button + : the amount to decrement or increment could be as low as 25 or as high as 100, i'm looking for an estimate.

So the computer knows the air pressure BEFORE the dive begins. now during the dive (a user chosen interval), i click the SMART button, select AIR REMAIN then enter the new pressure in the tank (just checking my analog guage). when I hit the SMART button again, the computer simply takes the previous pressure entered - the current presure, then divides out the time between the two pressure intervals. This should show air used, then simply factor in the remaining air and you should have a rough estimate of air time remaining.

I know this is open to human error, and any reasonably intelligent person would use this system correctly and safely. Exertion, depth and other factors effect air consumption so it wouldnt be a accurate as one that updates the value every 20 seconds, but still an excellent feature on some of the less expensive models that will allow divers one extra very important "function".

-----

Mike.

Sorry for the additional post, but i'm pretty sure the Gekko can also be installed in either a wrist or console boot.

-----

Mike.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom