Suunto Helo2 life expectancy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

40Fathoms

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
A bit of an odd question, and not one with a definitive answer, I know, but here goes:

I've got a Suunto Helo2 that has served me well on hundreds of dives over the past five years. No problems whatsoever (knock on wood), but now I've started wondering: what is the life expectancy of a dive computer like this? 5 years? 10 years? 500 dives?

I realise that many factors come into play, but buying a computer like this is somewhat of an investment, so I'd prefer to be at least mentally prepared for when I might expect to see problems coming up.

So far, I've replaced computers before they gave up (save for one), so lacking an idea of how long dive computers generally last.

I have a Vytec that i bought in (I think) 2002 that has 700-800 dives on it and it still works fine.

I know a number of other Suunto owners who have had to retire their computers a lot sooner because of troubles with the pressure sensor that make them start to give incorrect depth readings and/or start to "self dive" (go in dive mode before it is submerged), which makes it impossible to access the menu's.

So the answer is "it depends". If you get a good one and you take care of it then it should serve you well for years. if you're unlucky it could be showing signs of age after just a few years.

R..

A bit of an odd question, and not one with a definitive answer, I know, but here goes:

I've got a Suunto Helo2 that has served me well on hundreds of dives over the past five years. No problems whatsoever (knock on wood), but now I've started wondering: what is the life expectancy of a dive computer like this? 5 years? 10 years? 500 dives?

I realise that many factors come into play, but buying a computer like this is somewhat of an investment, so I'd prefer to be at least mentally prepared for when I might expect to see problems coming up.

So far, I've replaced computers before they gave up (save for one), so lacking an idea of how long dive computers generally last.
I am by far not as advanced of a diver as you but I do have experience with Suunto computers. My parents, like you, have many many dives on their Zoops with out any issues and their computers are now going on 5 years old. I got a used viper2 when I bought a drysuit from someone and that one came defective from the user. It is a weird defect. It functions 100% correct when diving (I have compared it to 3 other computers) BUT it will not save the new dives in it's log book history. What happens is, the next day the computer simply resets and displays the old dives. I sent it back to suunto in hopes to have the software fixed but they couldn't and offered me 50% off on a brand new Vyper-air which I did not want, however, it was nice of them to offer me something since I was not the original owner and the computer was far over it's expiration for warranty. All this being said, this is why I now dive two computers. Once I start seeing a large discrepancy between the two then I know something is wrong. Computers may vary a few feet for depth or temperature. I suspect computers will have varying life expectancies dependent on many factors. I know there are bottom timers (similar to computers) which are approaching the 10 year mark and still function fine.

I guess everyone will have a different answer to your questioned based on personal experience.

Suunto Favor: Purchased new 1998. Moderate use (in recent years as my back-up). Functioned until lost during a capsizing in 2015.
Suunto Cobra: Purchased new 2000. Heavy use. Scratched up, but still functioning perfectly.
Suunto Vyper: Purchased new 2005. Moderate use. Failed after about 50 dives in 2007 (depth sensor).
Suunto Helo2: Purchased new 2010. Heavy use. Computer functioning. Transmitter failed and replaced.
Suunto Favor: Purchased used 2015. Heavy use (as back-up). Functioning.

I consider myself a Suunto guy, and I feel I've had pretty good luck with them (well, 4 out of 5). That said, I always have a back-up; if not bungeed on my wrist (Favor), then at least in my dive bag. I also rig an analog SPG anytime I'm on a transmitter. In recent years my Helo2 has replaced my trusty old Cobra as my primary use computer. So far, so good. I'd be satisfied if it lasts another 300 dives.

Purchased 3 gekkos in late 2004 for myself, and my wife and son. The dive count on all 3 have all passed the 1000 mark many years ago (resetting the count to 0). All 3 are still in active service

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom