Suunto Mosquito - "Hidden" gauge mode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Question...keep in mind i just got my mosquito last week and only have 4 dives on it.

I am diving in the air mode. In this mode i know the log is written to every 30 sec. My question is how often is the depth on the display updated in this 'stock' mode?

Also, for those that have 'stung' their mosquito, what mode do you use for normal diving now that it has the stinger firmware settings?

Will it still log normally etc. in this setting?

Thanks for the help.

rcohn:
I believe all Mosquitos go into gauge mode past 5 minutes in freedive mode. The error mode occurs when you return to the surface. I also believe the error mode can be cleared by doing a short (less than 5 minute) "freedive".

Ralph

Mosquito goes into error mode when it's more then 5 min underwater in free mode. After that it can serve only as bottom timer (looks like gauge mode but "err" is written) for next 24 hours. This means that it can't be cleared with short freedive. It will clear itself after 24 hours or you can clear it by removing and reinstalling battery.

hurleyskis:
Question...keep in mind i just got my mosquito last week and only have 4 dives on it.

I am diving in the air mode. In this mode i know the log is written to every 30 sec. My question is how often is the depth on the display updated in this 'stock' mode?

Also, for those that have 'stung' their mosquito, what mode do you use for normal diving now that it has the stinger firmware settings?

Will it still log normally etc. in this setting?

Thanks for the help.

The displayed depth is always "real-time". The mosquito records the depth to the memory every 20 sec on Air/Ean mode.
The mosquito goes to err after 5+1 min in free mode and remains locked for 48 h.
I made a stinger setting to 10 sec .Haven´t tried diving but the mosquito settings seems the same. I`ll try next dive.

Hurleyskis & Arraial, I use the 10 sec setting on my Mosquito as described in my initial post.
As for the freedive mode, when I experimented in the pool the other week as in my first post I encountered no errors during or after the dive (8 mins bottom time in free mode).
The only issue I found in air or nitrox modes is when uploading the dive profile to the desktop PC you need to specify "Stinger" not Mosquito in Suunto Dive Manager. If you don't you'll screw up the graph time axis and your dive will appear twice as long as it really was.

PLEASE DIVE SAFELY PEOPLE: I recommend experimenting ONLY if you have redundant gauges/computers as a backup.

tks Bergersau. I couldn´t change the free mode setting like the stinger does (2 and 4 sec) but I do believe it will work. I made a full computer download after changing the 10 sec setting ,using stinger as selected computer. The log is perfect . I still have one doubt , the free mode will work with 10 or 2 sec sampling?
Tia
Arraial

MonkSeal:
Mosquito goes into error mode when it's more then 5 min underwater in free mode. After that it can serve only as bottom timer (looks like gauge mode but "err" is written) for next 24 hours. This means that it can't be cleared with short freedive. It will clear itself after 24 hours or you can clear it by removing and reinstalling battery.
Mine cleared after a short freedive.

Ralph

Arraial, I found the free/gauge mode on the mosquito uses a 2 sec sample rate with the air/nitrox set to 10sec sample rate.

Well, for grins I tried this hack on my Mosquito yesterday, and dove it in "Free" mode
with mixed results.

It still displays "Erf" after 5 minutes, but, interestingly enough, still gives depth and
dive time information.

It's also "locked" for 48 hours now.

My take is that it's no D3 or Stinger.

YMMV.

Hi guys and girls,

I am thinking of buying a Stinger and had a small question. Are there many versions of the firmware (OS that runs the watch)? Do you have to send it in to be upgraded? Do they find bugs?

I read about an Aladin device having a software glitch that cause many divers to have the bends.

Please copy replies to ekiledjian@hotmail.com as sometimes I have difficulty connecting to the board from dial up providers when on the road.

Thanks

bergersau:
Hi all, I wonder if anyone else can confirm this behaviour from their Suunto Mosquito?
I've found that by using the Sunto dive manager software on my P.C, I can change the Mosquito's sampling rate from it's default (either 30 or 60 seconds, I'd have to look it up to be sure ) to 10 seconds. This is done by using the TRANSFER, SETTINGS menu and selecting Stinger as the dive computer to transfer the setttings to. I've found this works fine for me (Just using the Mosquito as a backup computer for the experiment).
The interesting thing is that by doing this I seem to have changed the behaviour of the 'FREE' dive mode to match the 'FREE/GAUGE' mode of the Stinger. A test in the pool shows the computer doesn't go into error mode after 5+1 minutes as the manual says but continues on apparantly in a true Gauge mode as per the Stinger.
So have I 'unlocked' a hidden mode or not?
I'm looking forward to hearing from other mosquito owners on this.
does this setting change the sampling rate as well? Seems that the mosquito samples at 2 sec while the stinger samples at 1 sec?Marius

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom