Suunto Mosquito Vs Gekko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're interested in a D4 I have one that is very lightly used (excellent condition) maybe 15 dives. No scratches, etc. I paid $589 for it at the LDS, I'd be willing to let it go for $450 shipped. Only reason I'm thinking about selling it is I'd like something that can operate in gauge only mode.

The Gekko is downloadable. A mod that takes a few seconds, and you can have a Vyper

Gekko doesn't have gauge mode; Vyper does

Dear All

Thanks again,

Gekko is downloadable to Suunto Dive Manager with a hack. It is downloadable to Diving Log 4.0 as it is, no mods needed.

Mosquito is smaller and I found it harder on my eyes, esp. in dim light. But it can reasonably be worn all the time as a watch.

You can always get your download capacity from a Sensus Ultra - which I have used in preference to the downloads from my Stinger.

I am thrilled with my Mosquito. I have been diving it for 2-3 years as a backup to my Cobra Air-Integrated. I started 10-12 years ago with a Cochran Commander+ Nitrox as my first computer. It was great but rather bulky and the computer interface and software was really bunk compared to the Suunto. I liked the idea of air integrated but I wanted to have a backup at all times. I've got a spare SPG on my primary Reg (an ATX-200) and can easily move the Cobra to my backup in 5-10min (doing a careful job) if necessary. It works well and as there is already an SPG there, all good.

The one or two times I've had to go to my backup regulator (and ATX-100 masquerading as a Zeagle Flathead -- from the days of Zeagle whitelabelling Apecks) I actually have not bothered moving the Cobra and just dive the Mosquito.

The good thing, imho, about using these 2 same gen-Suunto computers is that the tables are the same. Should they not very closely resemble one anothers output when I check post dive, I know something weird is going on. I keep the Cobra on a retractor zipped in around my cumberbund (where I can just look down and see the LCD, rarely have to move around to see it) and the Mosquito tends to live on my wrist; there are sometimes minute differences in readings if I didn't spend the whole dive planar (who does?)

Honestly, I'm unaware of any reason to get a new or different computer (until one dies:wink: both work really well, I'm not dead and have never seen the inside of a chamber as a patient. I wear the Mosquito as a watch on dive trips (sometimes just around town when I want waterproof or not fancy) and I always know my SI and No-Fly times, etc. On a liveaboard its really nice.

The Mosquito does tend to get caught on jackets and shirts as I'm getting dressed/changed and using as a regular watch. The rubber face protector is of dubious value. After 3 years its still on there and the face is not scratched but on several beach dives it has gotten sand caught in there and I worried enough to take it apart UW and "rinse" it. Silly, but thats Type-A me. Mosquito takes some figuring out and the manual is nice to keep around. Its not the most intuitive UI. The Cobra, you just dive with and look at. Even Nitrox/mixed gas adjustments are easy.

I really don't see the value in a flashier/metal cased dive computer/watch or a newer Cobra2/3 computer. I haven't seen a table of features I'm missing or anything...

Back
Top Bottom