Suunto SK7 or Dive Gear Express Tech Compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder what do you guys mean by tilt feature. I have been using pelagic compass, it seems to do ok when tiled a bit. Did I miss something?

its is more about the "extreme angles" that perhaps the SK-7 shines. I own one. Is it that essential? You need to determine that...... Both serve a niche, and very well.

My complaint about the Sk7 in the DSS mount is that I had to glue it in with silicone glue, or the thing would get loose and turn in the mount.

I have owned the SK7 for a few years now and have had no problems.
I have the DSS bungee mount.
That being said, I have ordered many, many items from DGE and have looked at that compass offered by them at $39 and it looks like a fine product.

Found a lightly used SK7 for under $50 shipped, its the retractor one, so I will have to buy the DSS bungee mount for it. But with all the positive things said about it, I figured I might as well try it out. Thanks for the input.

its is more about the "extreme angles" that perhaps the SK-7 shines. I own one. Is it that essential? You need to determine that...... Both serve a niche, and very well.

And nothing comes free. To allow for the more extreme angles the compass has a taller profile.

I have used the SK7 for six years now and I love it. Actually I have like three of those suckers, all with the DSS bungee mounts. The other compasses (don't know anything about this DGE compass) seem to work fine too, except that the numbers are too small. The SK7 has the biggest numbers, and that's what my poor eyes need nowadays. If I could get a bigger compass with even bigger number, I would.

I have used the SK7 for six years now and I love it. Actually I have like three of those suckers, all with the DSS bungee mounts. The other compasses (don't know anything about this DGE compass) seem to work fine too, except that the numbers are too small. The SK7 has the biggest numbers, and that's what my poor eyes need nowadays. If I could get a bigger compass with even bigger number, I would.

You are talking about bigger numbers on the float, not the bezel. It looks like the DGE compass has the opposite, bigger numbers on the bezel. Any advantage one way or the other? I too have middle-aged eyes :(

I have the DGE tech compass but have not dived it yet. It absolutely does not tilt as much as the SK7, but it does seem to be adequate. I'll post more after a dive with it.

I sell the same compass as DGE. It's a generic in a generic bungee mount. But it works as long as you use proper techinque. It's what my students use for nav class and at half the price of an SK7 does the job and does it well.

That said I own two SK7's. One in a DSS mount I got new and a used one a retractor I bought off of Jill Heinerth. I use the SK7 wrist and have the other in the bin as back up. I also have one of the generics with me as well since I prefer wrist mounts.

the generics are quite a bit lower profile.

Back
Top Bottom