Suunto Vyper or Vyper2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is a DSS mount ?
For Suunto computers, it's one of these. For the Suunto SK-7 compass, it's this model.

Basically, they're mounts made by Deep Sea Supply, and you use lengths of bungee cord instead of a watch band. (Usually, you use two separate pieces, which means you can't lose the device if you have one band snap.)

While this got revived, can the compass on Vyper 2 be disabled and to such extend that it would not be seen on the screen at all??

While this got revived, can the compass on Vyper 2 be disabled and to such extend that it would not be seen on the screen at all??
Actually, only a long press (couple seconds) of the SELECT button (on the left side) ever gets you to compass mode. If you never use it, you basically don't even need to know it exists.

It's not displayed in the main display or anything. It's almost nothing more than a little "Hey, look what I can do with my ears!" parlor trick to me.

Additionally, I dive with a Gekko on one wrist and a Vyper2 on the other wrist, and they almost always show identical information. Those few times where I have seen a discrepancy (on the order of a minute or two), the Vyper2 with deep stops enabled has invariably been closer to NDL than the Gekko (although again, the difference is trivial unless you are *really* riding the computers).

So can I assume that the Vyper and Gekko would also likely show identical information? I have been diving with the Gekko, but this winter I bought a used Vyper to dive with and passed the Gekko on to my wife. When I dive without her (usually off the NC coast), I plan to take both. Working with them in the planning mode, there was a 1 minute difference in the NDL time (looking at a 90' dive on 32% Nitrox, 1.4). Is there any significance to this difference, or is it just to be expected? I guess my question is whether the Vyper calculates dives in the same way as the Vyper2 and Gekko.

Thanks

So can I assume that the Vyper and Gekko would also likely show identical information?
With them both in the same A&P modes and set to the same mix, you should see virtually no difference.
Working with them in the planning mode, there was a 1 minute difference in the NDL time (looking at a 90' dive on 32% Nitrox, 1.4). Is there any significance to this difference, or is it just to be expected? I guess my question is whether the Vyper calculates dives in the same way as the Vyper2 and Gekko.
The difference is not really of any practical significance. Occasionally, I may see a minute (or even two) difference between my wrists, but it's never really been any problem. I just dive within the limits of whichever is more conservative at the moment. There *are* likely some minuscule differences in the computers, but they all use the "Suunto RGBM" algorithm. With the same inputs, you should see them match quite well (unless you're windmilling one arm just to try to really annoy the computer :biggrin:).

If you go into deco, of course, the differences will quite likely magnify (or at least appear to magnify), but if you're riding the knife's edge between NDL and computer-on-deco, you're probably used to how fast deco can rack up.

Thanks for the information. My idea was to use the Gekko as a backup to the Vyper, assuming that they would calculate the dive(s) in the same way. I realize that during the actual dive(s) the computers could sense the same dive differently and therefore wouldn't necessarily display the same readings. But when I played with them in the planning mode, I would have expected them to read the same, based on entering identical dive parameters.

Some local divers offered the opinion that the Vyper and Vyper2 used different methods to calculate the dive, which is contrary to what I understood. In anycase, NDLs aren't my limiting factor, at least not yet.

Thanks again,

Some local divers offered the opinion that the Vyper and Vyper2 used different methods to calculate the dive, which is contrary to what I understood.
The Vyper2 has deep stops built in, but although I have had people tell me that makes it different than the non-deep-stop algorithm, that opinion has never been substantiated. As far as I can tell, it's just a "but it ought to be" reaction.

I have plenty of dives on my Gekko/Vyper2 pair, and there has never been any discernible difference caused by doing or not doing deep stops (I do have the deep stop countdown timer turned on).

Back
Top Bottom