Suunto Vyper vs Aeris Atmos Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Although I did have to decide between the savant and the Suunto Vyper. At the end i went with the Vyper and I like it very much (not to say that going with the Aeris would have been a worst choise).

Another computer to think about, around the same price range and spec, would be the Aladin Pro Ultra. Going with gas integrated models will put more stress on your walet. I chose not to take the gas integrated path.

Good luck.

Ari:)

Sue,

I dont know much about the Aeris computers. I have the Suunto Cobra, which is essentially the same as the Vyper except the Cobra is air integrated. My personal opinion is that the Suunto is by far one of the best computers out there today. I dont think you can go wrong with the Vyper. Dont let the stuffed shirts around here give you a hard time on asking after you bought. The fact your still asking and evaluating while you have the option to return is a good sign your exercising your options. I guess it must really be nice to be one of those people who never second guesses themself. I dont understand why some people respond to your request for advice when all they do is be condescending. Not very helpful! Anyway...my advice would be to go with the Vyper. Good Luck and Happy Diving!

Sue,
If you felt that I was putting you down, that was not my intention.If you felt that way, I am sorry. I was just pointing out that this is a great place to do your "homework" before you buy. It's great that you have a return option. There are shops around here that will take things back but, they will not refund $, they will give store credit. I've seen some people get burned this way.

Originally posted by ScubyDoo

Dont let the stuffed shirts around here give you a hard time on asking after you bought. The fact your still asking and evaluating while you have the option to return is a good sign your exercising your options. I guess it must really be nice to be one of those people who never second guesses themself. I dont understand why some people respond to your request for advice when all they do is be condescending. Not very helpful! Anyway...my advice would be to go with the Vyper. Good Luck and Happy Diving!

Heyscuby,
Is it your job now to judge us???
First, I wasn't giving any one a hard time. I didn't understand why she was asking after she bought.
Second, I didn't say I never second guess myself. Reread the post!
Third, It was not my intent to put anyone down in any way.
Fourth, You know what I think of people Judging others? :badmoon:

I didn't mean to start a war!!! I really appreciate all the input (positive and negative). I went back to my LDS and exchanged the Aeris for the Suunto Vyper wrist mount. I believe this will work best with the diving that me and my family do.
Tavi-no hard feelings. I know I should have done my homework first - and will next time.

Originally posted by SueJ
I didn't mean to start a war!!! I really appreciate all the input (positive and negative). I went back to my LDS and exchanged the Aeris for the Suunto Vyper wrist mount. I believe this will work best with the diving that me and my family do.
Tavi-no hard feelings. I know I should have done my homework first - and will next time.

I think you'll be very happy with the Vyper.
BTW, The PC interface works great Too!(if you're interested.)

Peace,

Tavi,

No its not my job to judge anyone, nor is it yours. I have been on the receiving end of that "wagging finger" icon of yours before and it certainly made me feel as if I was not only being judged, but convicted as well. When I saw the same thing happening to someone else, I guess it just rubbed me the wrong way. Im sure you meant well and didnt intend to hurt anyones feelings, but you did so nonetheless. I agree that this forum is an excellent source to share information and advice with divers who are diversified in experience, i.e. exerienced divers offering advice to new inexperienced divers, as well as learning about the pros and cons of different kinds of equipment before purchasing. In my own attempt to find the right gear for myself I have used the advice of many individuals on this forum. If memory serves me correctly, it was during this time I received one of your "wagging finger" icons along with a bit of chastising. Ok, so you were just trying to help, but I hope you can understand why it may not be perceived that way. I like this forum and want to get along with everyone here, including you. Truce?

Originally posted by ScubyDoo
Tavi,

Ok, so you were just trying to help, but I hope you can understand why it may not be perceived that way. I like this forum and want to get along with everyone here, including you. Truce?

There is no way of knowing someones feelings, and intentions as they write something here. We only have the words at face value.
So, Yes I can understand "why it may not be percieved that way".

I will try to think if my words might be taken the wrong way in future posts.

I too, like this forum and want to get along with everyone here.
And, Yes that includes you!

Truce

A LOT of people on this board seem to really like the Suunto line, having had no experience with them, I can't say whether I do or don't like them. The only thing that I can say is that in many posts on here, as well as on Rodale's magazine tests they always show the Suunto's to be very conservative when compared with Aeris, Genesis, and Oceanic computers. Personally I tend to like the freedom of the others, and the longer bottom times. I do quite a bit of photography, and have been diving 15 years now, so I am maybe a little skewed towards the "adventurous" side of diving. So the more conservative computers are not for me.

Certainly the freedom vs. risk of each computer needs to be weighed, and should probably be one of your more important deciding factors I would think. If you want more safety and less risk, go with the Suunto, if you want longer bottom times and more risk, go with the Aeris. Otherwise, both computer probably do an excellent job.

Just my $.02 worth... hope it helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom