suunto vytec button problem (light) and more

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought my backlight was broken also... Then I read the manual. While above water you have to hold the button down for two seconds for it to go on. This only works in some modes in certain situations. However, when in dive mode (ie: underwater) you simply tap the button ONCE and the backlight activates. Simple.

Regards,
David

You should check the serial number on the unit and compare the the recall Suunto had after they were first introduced. On the early models, there was a software issue that caused a fail to occur - I don't remember more than that.

In any case, I got a new unit because of the issue.

sucnip:
I thought my backlight was broken also... Then I read the manual. While above water you have to hold the button down for two seconds for it to go on. This only works in some modes in certain situations. However, when in dive mode (ie: underwater) you simply tap the button ONCE and the backlight activates. Simple.

Regards,
David

I think you may be right. Perhaps it was user error. I was on a wreck recently at 70 feet and tried to replicate the issue. It seemed like if I held the button for a few seconds that the light would never go on. However, when I just tapped it, it did work. I am going to try this again at 128' on another wreck on Sunday and if it doesn't give me problems at that depth just tapping it then I am sure it was just my issue. It still seems weird that it wouldn't go on if holding the button for 2 seconds or more even though it works with a quick tap...
Funny looking back at it...I was pressing that button so hard too :)...then I was thinking it was more probable that the pressure wasn't allowing it to spring back...I think I am about to be humbled...

When in dive mode, my Vytec will only light up if I press the button twice, regardless of depth. It work as described in the manual when out of the water... go figure

DirtRider:
I think you may be right. Perhaps it was user error. I was on a wreck recently at 70 feet and tried to replicate the issue. It seemed like if I held the button for a few seconds that the light would never go on. However, when I just tapped it, it did work. I am going to try this again at 128' on another wreck on Sunday and if it doesn't give me problems at that depth just tapping it then I am sure it was just my issue. It still seems weird that it wouldn't go on if holding the button for 2 seconds or more even though it works with a quick tap...
Funny looking back at it...I was pressing that button so hard too :)...then I was thinking it was more probable that the pressure wasn't allowing it to spring back...I think I am about to be humbled...

Just verified at 130' that a quick tap turns the light on as was said by sucnip. If I hold the button for any length the light will not go on. Therefore, the light will not turn on at depth if attempting to turn the light on using the surface prescription of holding for 2 seconds.
Thanks for the insight. I am relieved that it was user error.

Back
Top Bottom