Suunto Zoop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

quadcrazy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey guys so I just want to get some opinions on the Suunto Zoop. From what I have read the RGBM algorithm is a "very" conservative one compared to the other(s). Would you guys agree? I'm not sure if the Zoop uses a pure RGBM algorithm or not. Also as a first computer for a recreational diver would you consider this a good one?

Thanks for any input,

DJ

Very good dive computer. If a computer does NDL diving, with emergency deco, plus nitrox mode; then it's suitable for 95% of scuba divers. The Zoop does.

I'm not sure why some divers consider the relative 'conservatism' of the RGBM algorithm to be a bad thing. Aren't we taught to dive conservatively? I've dived (heavily) with Suunto computers for over 15 years... and never had DCI when using them. That's good enough for me.

good computer. We have a slew of them we use with our rescue diver classes and what not. Good computers. Doesn't do mixed gas so I don't use mine very often, but for a first computer, it will last you forever if you don't end up doing O2 decompression. If you do it's still a good computer for most of your diving

I'm not sure why some divers consider the relative 'conservatism' of the RGBM algorithm to be a bad thing. Aren't we taught to dive conservatively? I've dived (heavily) with Suunto computers for over 15 years... and never had DCI when using them. That's good enough for me.
I agree. I haven't conducted nearly as many dives as you, but I have found Suunto computers to be quite reliable. In shopping for dive computers, many people waste far too much time worrying about how conservative or liberal the deco algorithm is. Fact of the matter is that most any computer on the market nowadays will work for the typical recreational diver.

Newbie divers will often concern themselves with the wrong things. That's part of the learning process in almost any new activity -- figuring out what's important. It helps to have an experienced dive buddy (mentor?) who can provide some guidance.

To answer the OP's questions...
Yes, the Zoop would be a very good computer for a newer diver to buy. It's relatively inexpensive ($200-$300). It is nitrox-compatible. As saxplayer1004 pointed out, it doesn't do mixed gas, but the typical OW recreational diver wouldn't need that feature. It doesn't break easily. It can be wrist- or console-mounted. It has a user-replaceable battery (and it's super-easy to replace it). The phosphorescent display (charged by shining a light on it) consumes no battery juice, so with average usage the battery can last 2 or more years (compared to some computers which required annual battery replacement). The display is easy to read. The deco algorithm employed is a proprietary Suunto algorithm based on RGBM. The menus are fairly easy to navigate. If you purchase an overpriced download cable (retail approx. $100), you can transfer your dive profiles to a home computer. The only thing that I wish it had is a "gauge mode."

Yes, the Zoop (like the rest of the Suunto dive computer line) is more conservative than most other computers with respect to deco algorithm. Not a big deal in my mind.

the way I see the algorithms is they are still less conservative than diving square profiles with tables. I'd rather spend an extra 10-15 mins on deco than 5-6 hours in a chamber... I do wish it had gauge mode because then you could say it's perfect for the newer diver because a lot of us will run our backup computers in gauge mode anyway, or do full out trimix dives with tables so there's no need for anything but gauge mode. Oh well. Still perfect for 98% of divers out there.
Oh, and it doesn't do average depth, but forwhatever reason most entry level computers don't. Makes accurately calculating your SAC rate rather irritating for the whole dive, but that's not needed. You can easily just stay at approximately one depth and record pressure used over the course of however long you were at that depth and use that number. I use a lot more air on descent and ascent trying to control depth than I do when I'm actually diving *drysuit inflation, and just trying to get situated, especially in sidemount. Once I'm down I'm good but that initial transition from surface to horizontal always makes me suck a few big breaths in.
Entirely irrelevant. Moral of story, it lacks some features that the more expensive computers do, but for 98% of divers *and even for about 75-80% of the dives that the other 2% make, it will work just fine. We just tend to use our main computers for all of those dives for familiarity and cost.

You can always figure out the SAC rate with the download software after the dive. Though I agree average depth would be nice.

the way I see the algorithms is they are still less conservative than diving square profiles with tables. I'd rather spend an extra 10-15 mins on deco than 5-6 hours in a chamber... I do wish it had gauge mode because then you could say it's perfect for the newer diver because a lot of us will run our backup computers in gauge mode anyway, or do full out trimix dives with tables so there's no need for anything but gauge mode. Oh well. Still perfect for 98% of divers out there.
Oh, and it doesn't do average depth, but forwhatever reason most entry level computers don't. Makes accurately calculating your SAC rate rather irritating for the whole dive, but that's not needed. You can easily just stay at approximately one depth and record pressure used over the course of however long you were at that depth and use that number. I use a lot more air on descent and ascent trying to control depth than I do when I'm actually diving *drysuit inflation, and just trying to get situated, especially in sidemount. Once I'm down I'm good but that initial transition from surface to horizontal always makes me suck a few big breaths in.
Entirely irrelevant. Moral of story, it lacks some features that the more expensive computers do, but for 98% of divers *and even for about 75-80% of the dives that the other 2% make, it will work just fine. We just tend to use our main computers for all of those dives for familiarity and cost.

My son bought a Zoop this summer, and it does do average depth. Maybe this is a recent addition to the product?

If it has gauge mode and showing average depth, Zoop will kick nearly all computers to touch with enough saving for another one as a back-up.

The Suuntos conservatism has a lot to do with the type of diving you do, & whether you know what it will penalise you for on any given dive. If you do 2 or 3 dives every weekend, you may hardly notice the penalty someone on a 10 day live aboard, doing 4-6 dives a day would have progressively imposed. If you don't do fast ascents, sawtooth profiles, do use SI's longer than an hour, etc, you will also limit the penalties that cause the algo to be more cautious.

I had a Cobra for 7 years, I always had all the bottom time everyone else around me needed/wanted.

I've dived (heavily) with Suunto computers for over 15 years... and never had DCI when using them. That's good enough for me.

I know many people that could say this about any other major DC brand that's been in the market long enough.

No, it's not pure RGBM, as in a full implementation of a dual phase bubble model. But rather a single phase, neo Haldanian algo that's been hacked (had bubble factors incorporated) to behave something like the full version.

I don't think it matters that much wether its pure or not, unless you really must have a real dual phase algo (I could understand that). The algo has, what, I have no idea really, Millions? of dives to validate it's usability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom