Swamp Stompin Cave Trip 8-29-9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

****Question for Bugman or Glen********

I have a question about sidemount. I know that the advantage of sidemount is that you can squeeze into places easier, but if you have a first or second stage problem/malfunction you loose the ability to use the tank the reg is attached to. This wouldn't happen with doubles as you could isolate the problem with the manifold and still have all air available,right?

If you dive the setup properly, you'll always have enough gas to exit out of either tank independantly. In cave diving, we'll dive 1/3rd out(max) of each tank and then turn our dive, leaving 2/3rds remaining gas in either tank. If we lose a tank at turn pressure and max penetration, we'll have 2/3rds left in the opposing tank to exit safely with. This gives you true independants and safety as far as gas goes. This goes for independant backmounted doubles as well.

An isolated set of doubles has the additional failure points of the isolator valve and cross bar. If you have a catastrophic gas loss in manifolded doubles, it may take you a little while to affectively isolate and shut down the correct tank. This could potentially lose you more gas than you would have lost from a single tank.

A sidemount setup has the valves sitting in an accessible area, so if there's a catastrophic loss, there's no question on where its coming from, and your gas loss will be limitted to just one tank(which won't be catastrophic to your life).

In the highly unlikely event where you lose the gas out of one entire tank, and the regulator malfunctions on your remaining tank, with the sidemount tanks in an accessible location, you can swap regulators underwater.

IMO, sidemounting tanks are much safer as they are truly independant. That being said, you have to stick to your gas planning(which should be done with any tank configuration). Losing an entire tank will end a dive, but you should exit safely without any added confusion associated with locating a failure and isolating it.

... and they save the hell out of your back.

Very cool report, I really like the picture of the fossil Glen. The picture of Bugman in the green water is pretty cool to.

****Question for Bugman or Glen********

I have a question about sidemount. I know that the advantage of sidemount is that you can squeeze into places easier, but if you have a first or second stage problem/malfunction you loose the ability to use the tank the reg is attached to. This wouldn't happen with doubles as you could isolate the problem with the manifold and still have all air available,right?

If your regs are regularly serviced, you're not likely to have a problem/malfunction with them. As Mat stated, isolation takes time. In the time it takes you to isolate the air loss in backmounted, manifolded doubles, you will likely lose more air from both tanks than you would from one independent tank. While valve shutdown drills may seem easy in a training environment, they are not quite the same when you have a stream of air blowing out of your valve/first stage and blowing you all over the cave, while blowing out the visibility. The nice thing about sidemount is the bottles are where you can see them and isolation is much quicker. You might still blow around the cave a little, but all you need is one hand to isolate, not two.

great pics and great story.

can you tell us a little more about the fossils in the pic? what you think they were?

Big women need lovin too!

WOW I decided to read this one and it only made my sick with envy! Seriously though that new cave sounds very very cool.

And Glen... well done on the pictures! Those are fantastic!!

Thanks Stasia. I think Mat needs your help on that new cave. I will get in there next time....but someone YOUR size would do much better in there. Being a Big Bubba has it's disadvantages in some of these restrictions...especially when you are hauling two silos.(LP108's)

The rock in the new cave was really beautiful...at least the little bit I saw. :D

WOW I decided to read this one and it only made my sick with envy! Seriously though that new cave sounds very very cool.

And Glen... well done on the pictures! Those are fantastic!!

Yeah, you're a PITA ya know that? :p You were my favorite river cave buddy and you up and leave! Gaw! I'm already pining away on who can fill your spot on the Miss Jellyfish. :D

Thanks Stasia. I think Mat needs your help on that new cave. I will get in there next time....but someone YOUR size would do much better in there. Being a Big Bubba has it's disadvantages in some of these restrictions...especially when you are hauling two silos.(LP108's)

Those silo's are great in some caves, but one little dives and exploration, it can be easier with some smaller tanks. Rig up some AL80s, they'll work nicely. You're my new goto cave explorer buddy(Shagman is replaced!), with a bit of experience, you're Big Bubba Butt can do JUST fine in these caves and you can be my goto river cave buddy too :D

Nothing some experience can't cure, these caves aren't going anywhere brotha!

See that Glen, I was his favorite and how he's stuck with you.

I have got to get into that cave!! :( :( :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom