Swelling Problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peter_dorset

Reaction score
After diving recently (only 6 meters) my leg became swollen, I had fallen forward when exiting the shore dive site. It happened within 24 hours of the dive with no visible bruise. It was not painful or swollen at the time, only later.

Two weeks later still swollen but no brusie and only painful when pressed on. It did not seem to cause a problem on a 28 meter dive over the weekend.

I am off to the Red Sea next week and I am seeing the Doctor on Friday.

Can anyone see any problems with flying/diving? I read about someone with a fracture just having to be conservative.

If I follow the same rules should I be ok to dive? The doctors at the practice I use are not divers so seeking comments before I visit.

There are several possibilities as to your diagnosis, at least one of which has rather important implications for dive travel.

After you've seen the doctor on Fri you'll have more information. Please let the Diving Medicine forum know what you are told.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Hi DocVikingo

Thanks for your help so far. :) The Doctor prescribed Diclofenac Sodium 50MG for 1 week. Will have just finished them when I land in the Red Sea.

He said that it was an infected tendon and also said that it could be gout. Apparently this drug will fix either. He said that this could have been caused by too much exercise with my flippers!!! (Really should find a diving doctor!)

Asked about OK to dive with the drug and he ‘thinks’ it is OK.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best regards
Peter

peter_dorset:
He said that it was an infected tendon and also said that it could be gout. Apparently this drug will fix either.

Diclofenac is an anti-inflammatory. (I presume your doctor said "inflamed" rather than "infected".) Often causes gastric irritation and should be taken with food. Safe to dive with, provided your health is otherwise normal.

In your OP you said:

"Two weeks later still swollen but no bruise and only painful when pressed on."

That sounds a bit odd. Is it still swollen? As DocVik said, there are other possible diagnoses. If your leg is still swollen, you should see your doc again before departing for the Red Sea.

Thank you both for all your help.

The Diclofenac has reduced the swelling considerably and the pain has completely gone.

I had no ill effects at the weekend on a 30m dive. I was also given an extra 2 weeks supply so if it does start to flare up again I can go back onto the Diclofenac.

Many thanks for all your information.

Best regards
Peter

Back
Top Bottom