Swim Test?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yup, mind added "Pick this brick up from the bottom of the pool"

NAUI requires 15 continuous stroke cycles (any stroke), 10 minute survival swim, and 50 ft underwater swim. Of course, the instructor is allowed to require more beyond this minimum requirement.

I've had a couple go out too hard and got too tired to complete it the first time. One actually went out so hard she only swam about 1/3 of the way, had to be rescued and then she dropped out of the course. She was a college swimner, about 30 years ago. But she's the only fail to complete forever.

Al,
I always give my students a pre swim briefing, that is, don't go out too fast, just swim at a steady pace. Most listen, but like you describe, some go out much too fast, tire quickly, and have to redo at the next pool session. They always listen the second time around. :wink: :palmtree: Bob

my NAUI instructor made us.... do 5 laps around a 60 ft pool (any stroke as long as you didnt stop or grab onto the wall) Then we had to do a 60' underwater swim on one breath (only got 40 ft but i hope she lets this slide). Then we had to just tread water for 10 mins... thats it.

I'm PADI certified. We had to do a 200 yard swim with no fins, and IMMEDIATELY following that, a 15 minute portion of treading water WITH THE LAST FIVE minutes of treading water with your hands above your head. Then, the instructors said "if you wanna see what its like to pass the DM test, keep treading water with your hands above your head for another five minutes." There was 6 of us in the class. All 6 attempted the last 5 minutes, 2 actually did it....and yes I was one of the 2.

The DM requirement is actually 15 minutes with the last two minutes with hands out of the water. As well as a timed 800 yds with mask fins and snorkel, 400 yds timed freestyle, and 100 yds timed tired diver tow. The instructor is free to modify these however as long as standards are met. Adding stuff is ok. Lessening is not. The ow requirement is 200 yds freestyle, or 300 with mask snorkel and fins, and 10 minutes treading water. Nothing about keeping the hands up the last part.

The instructor is free to modify these however as long as standards are met. Adding stuff is ok. Lessening is not.

The PADI instructor manual for Divemaster lists specific requirements for the Water Skills and Stamina Exercises. They're written in "blue" which means they are a standard and cannot be modified.

I'm PADI certified. We had to do a 200 yard swim with no fins, and IMMEDIATELY following that, a 15 minute portion of treading water WITH THE LAST FIVE minutes of treading water with your hands above your head. Then, the instructors said "if you wanna see what its like to pass the DM test, keep treading water with your hands above your head for another five minutes." There was 6 of us in the class. All 6 attempted the last 5 minutes, 2 actually did it....and yes I was one of the 2.

Glad to hear it, but that is not a PADI requirement. PADI requires either a 200 yd swim or a 300 yd snorkel and a 10 min float. There is no requirement to ever take your hands out of the water, there is no requirement for 10 minutes and there's not even a requirement to actually tred, a float meets the requirement.

Agency protocols and/or local laws.

RSTC agencies i think demand a 200m un-timed swim OR a 300m snorkel and 10min float.

In Europe and i believe Australia, you MUST swim and not snorkel as local laws say so.

Edit:- Thats for entry level certification. Higher level courses depend on agency.

The DM requirement is actually 15 minutes with the last two minutes with hands out of the water. As well as a timed 800 yds with mask fins and snorkel, 400 yds timed freestyle, and 100 yds timed tired diver tow. The instructor is free to modify these however as long as standards are met. Adding stuff is ok. Lessening is not.

Im assuming thats NAUI - with PADI DM you aren't allowed to lessen OR add to the course. You can teach "optional" things but provided the core criteria are met you must award a certification.

Im assuming thats NAUI - with PADI DM you aren't allowed to lessen OR add to the course. You can teach "optional" things but provided the core criteria are met you must award a certification.

...and people wonder why I hate PADI...:rolleyes:

How can one add things to a PADI class if the "rules" clearly state that one cannot add to the course?

Why even teach the PADI class? Just hand 'em the money, they'll mail your cert. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom