Swim test

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum:
Do you get a good last breath?

Pete

Depends on how much of a challenge you want..... :)

Most people can hold their breath while swimming for at least 30 seconds, usually longer. It sounds harder than it is.

R..

I was very nervous about this part of the test (taking fundies very soon) as I just quit smoking 6 weeks ago after 15+ years of the nasty habit. Within my second try, I had made the 50ft mark, and by my 5th try, I had made it 75ft.

*Edit - those that have taken DIR-F, are students allowed to wear any type of goggles/mask while doing the test? I only ask because Chlorine/Bromine really bother my eyes, but I could tough it out for one test in the pool.

Derek, we could use either a mask or swim goggles for my test.

I was a bit worried about the breath hold test too. I ended up doing 75' on my first try (it was NOT graceful by any means).

When I was doing my OW ESA I had to take a couple of breaths from like, 20'. So, I always sorta figured I was pretty screwed if there was an air problem at over 40' or so. Now, though my partner and I plan our gas carefully, I KNOW that I can surface from 75' if I had to (bent better than dead).

Mark

:eyebrow: I grew up free diving and after a long time moved to SCUBA. When I asked the instructor about these swin test I mentioned I could swim under water for 2 minutes 30 seconds. His remark was that we have to cure that.

If I have to hold my breathe I would and with SCUBA the natural response is to breathe.

Being a newbie to Scuba I also understand tha holding your breath while changing depths especially up is not good. However, I do agree that it shoud be explained and not assumed that everyone is an idiot. Although in todays society we do have to protect ourselfs from each other and litigation.

Are the breath-hold swims done in DIR-F any different than the breath-hold swims done by YMCA OW classes for decades?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom