Swimmers ear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Works good for me.

Hydrogen peroxide is good for cleaing also.. It bubbles :eyebrow: !

fookisan:
A diver told me he uses a mixture of half rubbing alcohol and half white vinegar as ear drops after his dives to prevent simmers ear. Is this a good practice? I only had ear problems one time after some diving in Mexico, but was considering it as a preventive measure in the future. Do you have to use the drops after each dive or snorkel or just once a day or so? My ears get wet 4 or 5 times a day soemtimes. Does hydrogen peroxide work just as well?

Thanks,

Dan

In a SUUNTO catalogue, it says to use white wine vinegar (4-6% acetic acid) and isopropyl alchohol, in a 50/50 mix. If the mix creates too much drying, use less alchohol. I've also heard to add a couple drops of peroxide to the mix.
Good luck
Lips

Lots of "ear beer" recipes abound, I favor the 1/3 version myself, finding a higher % of alcohol to be very irritating.
Peroxide can clean TOO much of the protective ear wax out though.
I have a wax factory thing going on & can get away with it, others not.
Ditto on the importance of FLUSH & SOAK rather than just a few drops.
The stuff also makes a great sunglasses cleaning solution. :D

fookisan:
A diver told me he uses a mixture of half rubbing alcohol and half white vinegar as ear drops after his dives to prevent simmers ear. Is this a good practice? I only had ear problems one time after some diving in Mexico, but was considering it as a preventive measure in the future. Do you have to use the drops after each dive or snorkel or just once a day or so? My ears get wet 4 or 5 times a day soemtimes. Does hydrogen peroxide work just as well?

I've heard that is supposed to work, only thing I would be worried about, is that the rubbing alcohol would dry your ear out, causing leisions, and allow bacteria to get past the epidermal layers.

I've had one infection already this year, and this morning I woke up, it feels like I might be getting another. I'm going to ask my doctor if he can prescribe / recommend me something I can take for preventative maintenance. Last time, I was on amoxicillin and special eardrops for a month.... my jaw hurt like a bugger because the infection had gotten into my middle ear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom