Swimming pool repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get smarter on this stuff every day.

I am printing all of this...Thanks Michael.

A wise man (no clue who) once said, "If you want a new idea, read an old book."

I am saving tons of effort and layers of skin with every post.

Thanks again.

Jerry

Old books and old hands are the best sources of information. The old books give the official information and the old hands fill in the gaps, illustrate with graphic stories and tell you the things no will commit to print.

Here is another tidbit for you.

Which way do you work, upcurrent or down?

Answer, it depends on the work and the current.

In any river, stream or strong current ALWAYS (yes I am shouting) work up current. This way if you let go the current will push you clear. The current will also push your umbilical (if SS) clear of entanglements.

The exception, cleaning a boat bottom in a *light* current. For cleaning a boat in a light current, especially if the boat is swinging to anchor, I work from bow to stern (downcurrent). This helps reduce the amount of the junk that ends up on me and also improves visability. I don't really need visability to clean a boat but it does make it easier.

Damns, bridges, weirs and any other obstructions in a river should be avoided until you have the training, experience, equipment and backup team to handle them safely.

michael

Michael,

I had been thinking just the opposite...I was thinking that with the current at my back, I would have everything held nice and steady and close by. I wonder how long it would have taken me to figure it out on my own.

Many thanks...that tip smells like a potential lifesaver.

Scubaboard is great...I really appreciate the time that you and Norm took out for me.

See ya,

Jerry

The best safety feature is a diving supervisor who has lots of training and experience and will not put any diver into any situation that he (she) is not willing to dive personally.

Most divers are 'go for it' and 'get the job done' types and one of the jobs of the diving supervisor it to keep the divers from taking unneeded chances.

michael

Understood...somebody needs to provide adult supervision. I'm all for it.

We have a saying in the Navy...

"Don't let too much Can-Do do you in."

See ya,

Jerry

Even though you might be superman the job might be mining kryptonite.
:D

michael

Hey, I am an inland commercial diver in Florida.
Sometimes I *am* up to my ass in aligators.:moon:

michael

Pool Repair , yup done that. Golf balls , done that too. Cleaning boats,never been asked.

Pool Repair - get your name in with local businesses that do spa and pool instalations. Alot of these people do not even swim. I usually get between 50-100 dollars a job.That job usually takes less than an hour.Saves the owner of the pool and the business lots of time and money. They will tell how to do the repair.

Golf balls. Contrary to what others have said just go knock on the pro shop doors. Hope you like zero vis and trashing your wet or dry suit. There is LOTS of money to made doing this .Most courses will want you in the pond by 5am and out by 7am. I personally do not care to do this job. Not the zero vis.The time of day. This IS NOT like waiting for the boat to arrive at the dock for a pleasure dive .

Just get your name out there !

Have fun with retirement !!!

Ron Brandt

Thanks Ron.

Good advice. I'll use it.

One question...do you prefer to use an ax or a saw to get golf balls out of the ponds up there in Canada?

Just kidding...thanks again for the post.

Jerry in Florida

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom