Question Swimming pool to check if I still have equalization issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aih1013

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello All,

Last year I had persisting problems with equalization at approximately 3-5 meters to the point I had to wrap up the diving trip and return home.

I'd like to check if I still have issues of the sort before booking the next trip.

Could you recommend a swimming/dive training pool I can use with my diving equipment in the UK? Unfortunately, open water/lakes are too cold for me just yet.

Thank you in advance

Unfortunately, I can't be much help in the pool department.

However, if you have trouble equalizing try Claritin-D 24 hour 1-2 hours before you dive. It does amazing things for helping equalization.

If you are in the South. Andark run bubble sessions on a Monday and Wednesday evenings. Just got to have dived during the last 6 months. Or they will want you to do a refresher. You can use your own kit or they will lend you bcd/regs/cylinder/fins and weights. Got to have your own mask though

@sharknutz Thank you! I'll try it.

@W1nst0ne Thank you! It is not a too long drive for me.

Any ideas wrt something in the Greater London area?
Maybe London School of diving in chertsey do something similar? Pretty sure they have their own pool.

Wraysbury? It’s a lake so cold but has 10m depth. Next to Heathrow.

They’ve instructors to hand.

I think Aquanauts near Kingston has a pool.

Two comments:
1. Visit an ENT ... I have seen many divers / students end their equalization issues after such a visit:
Lots of people have deviated septums which can be mediated with a simple out-patient procedure.

2. Use the Frenzel technique.
The commonly taught Valsalva (pinch nose and blow) has a number of issues:
constricts Eustachian tubes which may hinder equalization
can generate over-pressure that is transmitted via the Cerebral-Spinal fluid that can result in round-window rupture of the inner ear ... this can lead to permanent deafness
unequal ear pressures can lead to dizziness / spinning (alternorbaric vertigo)
in the presense of a PFO (~25 % of adults) over pressure can drive existing bubbles from previous dive into arterial circulation

I consider the Valsalva as a "last resort" method of clearing.

The Frenzel technique was developed during WWII for the German Stuka dive bomber pilots (rapid increase in pressure, but both hands needed on the control stick). It is totally hands-free. I consider it the safest way to equalize middle ear / outer ear pressure differentials during descent. (I have used this hands free technique for more than 4 decades) The slide below (from my PFO slide set from my collection of lecture slides at Divegeek Lecture Slides ) illustrates this technique:

Frenzel.jpg

Back
Top Bottom