Question Swimming pool to check if I still have equalization issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Two comments:
1. Visit an ENT ... I have seen many divers / students end their equalization issues after such a visit:
Lots of people have deviated septums which can be mediated with a simple out-patient procedure.

2. Use the Frenzel technique.
The commonly taught Valsalva (pinch nose and blow) has a number of issues:
constricts Eustachian tubes which may hinder equalization
can generate over-pressure that is transmitted via the Cerebral-Spinal fluid that can result in round-window rupture of the inner ear ... this can lead to permanent deafness
unequal ear pressures can lead to dizziness / spinning (alternorbaric vertigo)
in the presense of a PFO (~25 % of adults) over pressure can drive existing bubbles from previous dive into arterial circulation

I consider the Valsalva as a "last resort" method of clearing.

The Frenzel technique was developed during WWII for the German Stuka dive bomber pilots (rapid increase in pressure, but both hands needed on the control stick). It is totally hands-free. I consider it the safest way to equalize middle ear / outer ear pressure differentials during descent. (I have used this hands free technique for more than 4 decades) The slide below (from my PFO slide set from my collection of lecture slides at Divegeek Lecture Slides ) illustrates this technique:

View attachment 778225
Guys, I am new to diving and even newer to using forums so please excuse any etiquette breaches in advance.

I passed my PADI Open Water course last week and REALLY enjoyed all the learning and the underwater environment. I did my final two dives on a Tuesday and had problems equalizing one ear (the left) on the final dive. It wasn't just pressure, it was pain. The problem was, although I new I needed to ascend and attempt to equalize, I went down a bit further before I got full control of my descent.

Any how, next day I decided to get checked out with my doctor and he examined my ears. Right one was fine (but still crackles); the left one he diagnosed with mid-ear barrotrauma. He said their is bruising, the eardrum is stuck inwards (compressed) and he suspects a small tear not visible to his eye. He contraindicated being submerged in the bath, diving, the pool etc for four weeks and at which stage he expects it to be healed or else I will be referred to ENT.

My question is simple, is this something that I can get over and dive again or am I likely to always have trouble equalizing? I find this thread encouraging and will try to respond to individual posts if I can get my head around the mechanics of using a forum ;-)

I am trying the Frenzel as I type and I can make both ears click very easily every time... something whichh doesn't always work with the Valsalva and, even when it does, takes a lot longer. So hats off to

UofMI_Divegeek

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom