swimthroughs and inherent danger thereof

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too have been through some tight swim throughs in Coz. There were three of us in our buddy group, myself, my boyfriend and his daughter. My boyfiend and I are equally skilled, but this was the first real open water experience for my boyfriend's daughter. We kept her in between us through the swim throughs, she did ok, but at the end, told us how much she hated it. It was well beyond her comfort level.

We had a very bad experience in St. Maarten/Martin with ScubaFun. They took us out in 6-10 foot swells on an ocean pontoon boat. I never made it down that dive, but those who did had a terrible experience. There was very low vis, bad surge, and they kicked like crazy the whole time just to keep up with the DM so they wouldn't get lost.

My point is, no matter what, YOU are in charge of YOU. Don't forget that even if you are on a "guided dive". Evaluate the situation and don't be afraid to call it off, swim above the swim throughs, or whatever it takes to keep yourself safe!

Thanks,
Jonesydive

I was with a group in the Caymans. We were cut up into groups of 7 or so per DM, and went through some "swim throughs". There was a couple with the group that were less experienced divers.

The passage was long, mostly enclosed, and only large enough for a single file line. We came to a type of top opening in the passage where you could see sunlight coming in. I don't know if the girl was trying to get out or what, but the hole was too small. She either tried to get out, or got positively bouyant for whatever reason, but she was stuck in the hole in the top of the passage. She began to struggle and get frantic. I had to shake her husband (who had stopped and my momentum brought me right up his back) and point at her before he moved to help, or realize that she might be in trouble.

When her husband finally moved to help her, he kicked up the bottom and vis went down to about 6 inches. They must have been frantic getting out, because the entire tunnel was full of silt from the bottom they kicked up. I exhaled and hugged the bottom and felt my way out. The couple got out and went to the surface. There was one guy behind me. Luckily, I knew that going in.

When I came out of the tunnel, I barely saw the last person in the group going around the next turn, about 70 feet away, and out of sight. Knowing there was 1 guy still behind me, I waited for him to get out.

So there I was by myself not even able to see the group, waiting on one guy to come out of the tube; not even knowing if he would make it okay. There he was by himself inside the tube grappling his way out like I had to.

Finally, the last guy made it out, and we buddied up and were able to salvage the rest of the dive, and eventually catch up with the group. When he got out, he motioned to me asking where the group was. He didn't realize the DM and group left us there until we were on the boat and I told him about it. He wasn't very impressed either.

I mentioned to the DM after the dive that if they were going to do tunnels like that, they should have a DM, or designated diver, bringing up the rear, or at least wait for everyone to come out. He just shrugged it off. He didn't get much of a tip for that dive either.

The potential for problems was there. I would think there would be better procedures for swim thoughs.

On the other dives that day, the DM didn't bother to change his method for swim throughs. We (me and the last guy out) chose not to swim through any more tunnels, but to swim over and wait for the group at the exit. When they came out of a swim though, the DM was in the lead and they were in single file. The DM didn't count heads or anything at the exits, he just emerged out of the tunnel and kept going.

There is nothing in those tunnels that I want to see.

mwn:
I was with a group in the Caymans. We were cut up into groups of 7 or so per DM, and went through some "swim throughs". There was a couple with the group that were less experienced divers.

The passage was long, mostly enclosed, and only large enough for a single file line. We came to a type of top opening in the passage where you could see sunlight coming in. I don't know if the girl was trying to get out or what, but the hole was too small. She either tried to get out, or got positively bouyant for whatever reason, but she was stuck in the hole in the top of the passage. She began to struggle and get frantic. I had to shake her husband (who had stopped and my momentum brought me right up his back) and point at her before he moved to help, or realize that she might be in trouble.

When her husband finally moved to help her, he kicked up the bottom and vis went down to about 6 inches. They must have been frantic getting out, because the entire tunnel was full of silt from the bottom they kicked up. I exhaled and hugged the bottom and felt my way out. The couple got out and went to the surface. There was one guy behind me. Luckily, I knew that going in.

When I came out of the tunnel, I barely saw the last person in the group going around the next turn, about 70 feet away, and out of sight. Knowing there was 1 guy still behind me, I waited for him to get out.

So there I was by myself not even able to see the group, waiting on one guy to come out of the tube; not even knowing if he would make it okay. There he was by himself inside the tube grappling his way out like I had to.

Finally, the last guy made it out, and we buddied up and were able to salvage the rest of the dive, and eventually catch up with the group. When he got out, he motioned to me asking where the group was. He didn't realize the DM and group left us there until we were on the boat and I told him about it. He wasn't very impressed either.

I mentioned to the DM after the dive that if they were going to do tunnels like that, they should have a DM, or designated diver, bringing up the rear, or at least wait for everyone to come out. He just shrugged it off. He didn't get much of a tip for that dive either.

The potential for problems was there. I would think there would be better procedures for swim thoughs.

On the other dives that day, the DM didn't bother to change his method for swim throughs. We (me and the last guy out) chose not to swim through any more tunnels, but to swim over and wait for the group at the exit. When they came out of a swim though, the DM was in the lead and they were in single file. The DM didn't count heads or anything at the exits, he just emerged out of the tunnel and kept going.

There is nothing in those tunnels that I want to see.

That sounds more like a cave than a swim through and there absolutely are procedures for diving them. Coral caves are in fact one of the recognized types of caves and I see no reason to treat them any differently than any other cave as far as basic procedures and equipment.

In an overhead you had better have redundant breathing systems. In a "cavern" divers often do without but they stay out of restrictions (so they have a buddy) and they are within sight of the entrance with penetration limits measured from the surface. They still use a line as backup navigation and have 3 lights (one of which is the sun).

If single file travel is required you can't share air unless you're using long hoses and initiating air sharing while in the restriction would be difficult.

Any passage that requires single file travel is considered a restriction and essentially makes a solo diver out of you while you're in it. Restrictions are considered off limits to cave divers until the final stages of their training.

IMO, some one should sink that outfits boats before they get some one killed.

If you want to dive caves (whether coral, lava or rock) why not take some training? It's fun and you'll have the equipment and skills to really enjoy the cave. As a side benefit you won't be following any idiot DM's and crowds of OW divers into caves. Being stuck between panicing OW divers in a restriction would be a real nightmare and that's probably why the DM goes first...so he can get out. LOL

I think they have some sort of cavern training thats not actually cave training but close. Learn some soft efficient fin kicks also to avoid silt outs.

MikeFerrara:
That sounds more like a cave than a swim through and there absolutely are procedures for diving them. Coral caves are in fact one of the recognized types of caves and I see no reason to treat them any differently than any other cave as far as basic procedures and equipment.

In an overhead you had better have redundant breathing systems. In a "cavern" divers often do without but they stay out of restrictions (so they have a buddy) and they are within sight of the entrance with penetration limits measured from the surface. They still use a line as backup navigation and have 3 lights (one of which is the sun).

If single file travel is required you can't share air unless you're using long hoses and initiating air sharing while in the restriction would be difficult.

Any passage that requires single file travel is considered a restriction and essentially makes a solo diver out of you while you're in it. Restrictions are considered off limits to cave divers until the final stages of their training.

IMO, some one should sink that outfits boats before they get some one killed.

If you want to dive caves (whether coral, lava or rock) why not take some training? It's fun and you'll have the equipment and skills to really enjoy the cave. As a side benefit you won't be following any idiot DM's and crowds of OW divers into caves. Being stuck between panicing OW divers in a restriction would be a real nightmare and that's probably why the DM goes first...so he can get out. LOL
And yet, hundreds of BOW divers will do these "swim throughs" this very week without getting injured. There'll be stories like this poster's about fear and silt and stuff, but I think the DMs continue to do these dives because people continue to survive them. I've never heard of a death in a vacation swim through. Have you??
I don't necessarily agree with them. Just saying...
But I am a hypocrite. When I'm in Coz in two weeks, if the boat goes to the Devil's Throat (a swim through that could absolutely be called a cave, and dumps you out at 130'), I'll do the dive, even though I've had no cave training.
Good advice though, mike. I'll try to be right behind the DM. :eyebrow:

Well I'm glad you were ok, but IMO, swimthroughs without any overhead environment training is a bad idea.

Thanks for sharing.

SF

The last 2 years my wife and I have been going to Coz. The 1st trip was our OW cert.
After that, boat dives from then till now. Several of the dives our DM lead most in our group through a few swim throughs. While contemplating on whether to follow or not my dive buddy (wife) gives me a tug and signals that she is not comfortable following and so we go up and over, following the bubbles that filter through the coral. Am not sure if it is a small case of claustraphobia or what that causes me to hesitate in following them into the swim thru's but my wife bails me out so not to have to make that desision. Thanks ScubaFreak for justifying that we should have further training in overhead environments, before we attempt swim thru's in the future
sreno155

One thing I did take away from the experience is that in any pre-dive briefing, when "swim throughs" are discussed, I will ask about a procedure. If we could establish that someone in specific brings up the rear, and the group waits at the exit for EVERYONE to get out before going on, I would feel more comfortable with it.

I lived and I learned, so I came out ahead.

I agree with Mike F.

And...this is not the first time i"ve said this on this board. Too many of these so called "DMs" are not DMs at at all. Nothing more than "local hired guides" who can speak another language. Cert level maybe advanced, maybe rescue.....

Regards,

I remember hearing in my OW class, and also have heard it when I am helping with classes now, that there are no scuba police out there. You should dive within your training and comfort level. Anytime I have ever been on a dive where a swim through was involved, the DM covered this in the predive briefing, and said if anyone wasnt comfortable, let them know and there are other ways arouind it. Whether this was in Cozumel, or Bonne Terre Mines, there are always choices. Especially outside this country, they are working for tips and want to offer the best dive they can.

miketsp:
I've done quite a lot of swimthroughs and the one thing that really irritates me is that quite often in tourist ares, when my wife and I are diving as part of a group, we seem to be the only ones operating as a buddy pair.
A few times I would let my wife go into an opening with the intention of following close behind her - contact distance, when some idiot would force in behind her and separate us.
I tolerated this a couple of times but nowadays I don't and I will (and have) use whatever force is necessary for us to stay together in confined spaces.
Needless to say this has lead to some strained situations when getting back on the boat. It's amazing how many experienced divers have no idea that they should be paired with a buddy even when group diving.
I hear you, my wife and I feel the same, it's usually us and a bunch of solo divers.
As far as lining up for swim-throughs I'm 6'4" and 220, people rarely force their way by me :wink:

Back
Top Bottom