T1i lense options post girlfriend

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blueskys4ever

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey, I dumped my girlfriend and she left with my G-9. So I bought a T1i to make up for the loss.

If I had only one lense to mount to this body for underwater use, which lense would that be?

The 18-55mm using the standard port works fine. It can do portrait and macro just fine.

you can report her :eyebrow:

I think you need two. The Tokina 10-17 has become most people's workhorse wide angle lens and the 60 macro. Between them you have pretty much everything covered. At the low end, the 18-55 is a 28 mm lens, not really wide enough and the macro capabilities are only 1:3 so it really does neither very well. You can add diopters and wet lenses and such, but between the Tokina and the macro lens I think you will be a lot happier.
Bill

I think you need two. The Tokina 10-17 has become most people's workhorse wide angle lens and the 60 macro. Between them you have pretty much everything covered. At the low end, the 18-55 is a 28 mm lens, not really wide enough and the macro capabilities are only 1:3 so it really does neither very well. You can add diopters and wet lenses and such, but between the Tokina and the macro lens I think you will be a lot happier.
Bill

This is exactly the kind of response I was hoping for. Thanks!
All hail ScubaBoard.

i use a 10.5 fisheye and a 100mm macro. those are my two workhorses.
I use both the 60 and the 100 macro depending if I am interested in super macro since the add on lenses don't give as much oomph with the 60 as with the 100. I have the Sigma 15 fisheye but the Tokina is nicer IMHO.
Isn't the 10.5 a Nikon lens? If you are shooting Nikon are you shooting the 105?

Bill

I use both the 60 and the 100 macro depending if I am interested in super macro since the add on lenses don't give as much oomph with the 60 as with the 100. I have the Sigma 15 fisheye but the Tokina is nicer IMHO.
Isn't the 10.5 a Nikon lens? If you are shooting Nikon are you shooting the 105?

Bill

pardon the typo.--i'll correct it above too. I dont know why i typed 10.5. i have the 10mm fisheye and 100mm macro.

I recently switched rigs from a rebel xt with ef-s lenses to a 5dmk II and my 10-22mm no longer fit. I ended up selling that on ebay and using funds to buy the fisheye.

the ratio I shoot of macro vs fisheye is probably about 75% fisheye and 25% macro when I go diving. I think the quality of images is a lot better using the prime lenses vs the zoom or telephoto (on land). with the 5d the fisheye makes it very easy to take good video shots without constant focusing.

Back
Top Bottom