Tahiti diving comparable to ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronrosa

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am considering Bora Bora and Moorea for a 10th anniversary vacation with my non-diving wife. Rangiroa topside looks a little too limited for us.

Most of my diving has been in the Caribbean. I did dive and enjoy Maui and Kona though.

How does diving in Bora Bora and Moorea compare ? How far short is the diving compared to Fiji and Palau ?

As you have probably heard, Tahiti is very different if just for the fact that there are no soft corals. Tahiti diving is similar to the drift dives in Palau (minus the soft corals). I my own opinion, the best reason to go to Tahiti is the sharks and the topside scenery. Diversity and critters are few, especially for a South Pacific destination. I found the diving to be good not great. I wouldn't go back just to dive.

Can't comment on Fiji... yet. I leave in a week. Let you know how it compares when I get back.

Funny, I'd go back to dive AND enjoy the topside again in a heartbeat. While the sharks (and Mantas if you're on Bora Bora) are the main attractions, I was thrilled with the other sea life as well. Constantly awed by the different types of butterflies, the schools of bannerfish. The hard corals have their own beauty.

Is it as spectacular as the soft corals or as lush in life as some other South Pacific destinations? Probably not. Worth diving? Absolutely. More than once? Yup! And I don't repeat far-flung destinations very often, but I'd do this one.

And for your 10th, it's as romantic as all get-out. Let me know if you need resort recommendations or other travel info.

"diving good but not great" ??? really?
I had my best dives in Tahiti (Bora, Manihi and Rangi). Better viz than in Saipan, sharks for 18 dives out of 21, Mantas for the remaining 3. Cannot compare to any other locations, including the Maldives.

More practical information: multiple dive shops in Bora, very easy diving.
Rangi is more challenging but absolutely worth it: schools of sharks, dolphins, giant hammerhead, all in a single dive. Diving style is tougher than your dad's openwater course. A la francaise, you go deep and you swim fast. Watch your O2 and NoDec more frequently than usual...
Manihi has only one diveshop and I was fortunate enough to be the only customer for 3 days. Lots of fun, lots of sharks.

I spent 2 weeks with my family in Tahiti, all non divers but me. We all want to go back.

The only problem after diving in Tahiti, besides cost and travel time, is that the Carribeans will look extremely boring, tasteless and mediocre. Like going shopping to the mall after a week in Paris...

divebuddy68:
As you have probably heard, Tahiti is very different if just for the fact that there are no soft corals.

There are soft corals at Coral City off Huahine.

I wasn't that impressed with the diving in Tahiti. Granted my stay in Tahiti was a last minute detour on the way back to Australia from South America, and I only did two dives in Moorea. But Tahiti in generaly is very expensive, and the diving is no exception.

For my money, my trips to the Maldives and Palau were better diving and much better value for money.

I wouldn't go to Tahiti just for a diving holiday, but if you're going to be there anyway, IMO its certainly worthwhile getting wet.

Back
Top Bottom