Tailoring your wetsuit...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JFB110

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
So I have been given an O'Neill 7mm semi-dry suit with integrated hood. I really like it and it fits well but the sleeve are a little too long. Has anyone ever tried trimming their sleeves and putting a new cuff on them? I have a really good industrial sewing machine and an experienced seamstress available but I'm not sure this is the smartest idea I've ever had. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Can you just roll them up ???...Or are they too long ???????....If so, shortening them is no big deal....Take the original stitching out and you'll see how they were done at the factory........

Keep an eye on the taper. When you shorten the sleeve you should get a larger wrist opening. You may need to remove a wedge then glue and stitch. no gig deal, just another step.

I've had to shorten sleeves on suits and I also had to cut one up the sides and down the arms once to make it smaller.
First, mark where you need to cut with a white china peel-off pencil then use sharp scissors to cut the neoprene.
If you have to glue a seam together, coat both sides with black neoprene cement (not aquaseal). Brush 2 coats on each side letting each coat dry completely. Once the last coat is dry, press the two components together and apply as much pressure as you can to fuse them completely. The new seam will be as strong as the rest of the neoprene. It's considered a 'weld'.
I have one suit I made excessive alterations to about three years ago. I didn't even blind stitch the seams together after it was glued, I just left it and there is no sign of wear or anything coming apart.

Back
Top Bottom