Taken Picture of other divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If by "protocol" you're asking what normally happens, everybody will be snapping like mad, then at the end of the week everybody will promise to send copies of their pictures as soon as they get them downloaded back home. Then you'll never hear from them again. It's infuriating.

Break the tradition, I say. Take tons of pictures and offer to share them with anybody who wants a copy. Bring a card reader with you so they can do the same. Everybody likes having underwater shots in their scuba paraphernalia, and obviously this is hard to do with the timer :)

Enjoy your trip...and don't forget your seasickness meds!
Meh, the photogs I talked to on my trip shared their pictures and I shared mine.

I’m getting ready to take my first live aboard trip. Is there a protocol for taking other peoples pictures? I want to document the hold trip.

I've found the best thing to do is to simply hold up the camera and wait a sec to see their reaction. If they turn away then they don't want their picture taken. However, they'll probably pose for ya.

Oh and in the evening break out the laptop and show people the pictures. It doesn't matter how good or bad they are.

I think the vast majority of people like to have pictures of themselves underwater. I know I do. On our South Pacific trip, we did exactly what was described -- brought a card reader and shared our photos with anyone who wanted them, and a lot of people did.

I guess the sarcasm isn't obvious enough...:eyebrow:

I know. Perhaps he meant the "hole" dive. But we're not allowed to discuss "that" kind of diving in this forum...:eyebrow:

I personally think its better to ask before taking pictures. I cant imagine that anyone will object, but some people are a little sensitive about it, and would certainly appreciate this courtesy from you.

Thanks for the replies. I’m going with Ultimate Getaway in October. The problem is I get sea sick every time I’m on a boat, so all the pictures may turn out green.

One may not wants his picture taken because the lady with him is NOT his wife... but, let say his ehh niece...

One may not wants his picture taken because the lady with him is NOT his wife... but, let say his ehh niece...

In that case, be sure you get his pic. It may just pay for your trip. :wink:

Miller, ask divers to let you out front for at least part of each dive so you can look at their faces, instead of the other end. On the first dive shoot a few back ends, and show them. When you have divers looking at you with maybe a colorful sponge, or coral head in the middle. . . time your shot for bubbles starting to rise above the divers head. Before your trip, write your name, phone and address on a sheet of paper and photograph with each of your memory cards, and lock that picture. You may find a sale on thumb drives. . . let a new friend take that home with copies of your pictures, with the promise to return them to you. . . The first picture file should be your contact information.

Most important, your desire for the world's greatest photograph, must be second in your mind, behind safety. . . That picture of a lifetime has ended the lifetime early for a lot of divers. Never let getting a picture, let other divers swim ahead of you.

I take pictures underwater of anyone that looks like they might make a good shot. Afterwards I usually ask if they want a copy, everyone has wanted copies so far :) I upload my best shots to flickr but I only upload photos of recognisable people after I have checked with them first. If they are not recognisable at all I tend to upload them without asking permission. Obviously if anyone wanted me to take a photo of them down I would straight away.

For above water shots I ask first.

Back
Top Bottom