Taking Coral and my confrontation with those who did

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So long as it's legal, not really much you can do. I do have to say corals are one of those well protected species in florida, with very specific regulations on what can and can not be collected. Id double check the regulations in your area and just make sure you are aware what is off limits and what is fair game (pun intended).

Find out who their training instructor was for the "taking coral" course. Call that person up and have a little chat with them.

If you new where they rented their tanks, the shop might not want to rent those idiots air... Maybe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Where is it legal to take large pieces of live coral? I think that our actions should be based on an understanding of what is legal. I think the flow chart of an appropriate response has a big diamond at the question: "is it legal"? If it is entirely legal, yet you feel it is inappropriate, then possibly you should make these people aware of your opinion.

My buddies were taking hundreds and hundreds of pieces of live coral colonies off a seawall in Key West a few years ago using hammers and chisels and collecting the coral. Would "you people" have flattened their tires or punched them out?

Wouldn't you have felt silly, if you instead politely asked them what they were doing and discovered that they were removing the coral prior to demolition of the seawall and that all the colonies were being collected for future transplant and the work was mandated by the government.

Where is it legal to take large pieces of live coral? I think that our actions should be based on an understanding of what is legal. I think the flow chart of an appropriate response has a big diamond at the question: "is it legal"? If it is entirely legal, yet you feel it is inappropriate, then possibly you should make these people aware of your opinion.

My buddies were taking hundreds and hundreds of pieces of live coral colonies off a seawall in Key West a few years ago using hammers and chisels and collecting the coral. Would "you people" have flattened their tires or punched them out?

Wouldn't you have felt silly, if you instead politely asked them what they were doing and discovered that they were removing the coral prior to demolition of the seawall and that all the colonies were being collected for future transplant and the work was mandated by the government.

the difference between a situation like that and the one by the original poster is that when confronted and asked why? was told none of his business instead of an answer like your friends. Most divers in response to your friends would be inquire how to help most likely.

The rest of that story is that the coral in question was transplanted on dead rock by Fort Zach Taylor where it is doing fine. It is monitored 4 times a year for another year I think, till it has been in for 5 years. they have an 80% success rate for the transplant.

The rest of that story is that the coral in question was transplanted on dead rock by Fort Zach Taylor where it is doing fine. It is monitored 4 times a year for another year I think, till it has been in for 5 years. they have an 80% success rate for the transplant.

now that is good news -- dead/dying coral reefs have been in the news fairly recently

I agree with the post that says take pictures, get license numbers, and video. If taking live coral is against the fishing regulations, then its called "poaching". Does Florida have a hotline for reporting such activities? All the other strategies count too, but nothing like getting law enforcement involved, if you can get their attention.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The Thread has been moved to an appropriate venue for this discussion.

Why not post on spearboard, I hear they are better for searching and looking people up online and ruining their lives...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom