Taking your buddy for a ride.... tee hee hee..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And my buddies wonder why I spend so much time supine.

I've never done it to my buddies since they are always much smaller (ladies) and I'm a big guy. However one of my very petite (110# soaking wet but without gear) dive buddies did it to me. I thought I had caught some kelp on my tank valve and just kept kicking. She was quite amused.

If you do this during a float dive, your buddy may never figure it out.

Rick Inman:
I did it for the first time tonight.

I'd read about it here on SB. I won't mention the name of the diver I'd read does this thing, but I wouldn't put it past him.

You quietly drift up and behind your buddy, grab firmly onto the back of his tank (the boot worked well for me) and stop swimming. It's like taking a ride on a human scooter! What's amazing is that my buddy didn't even notice that he was dragging along an extra 200 pounds (OK, yes, including gear, a little more than 200 pounds...). How is this possible??

When he turned to look for me, I'd just slip off to the side, and, being positioned up and behind him, he just figured I was being a lousy buddy. I flashed him the OK, he started swimming again and I grabbed on for the ride.

Later in the dive, we came across Tony and Stoy. I gave Tony the "watch me" sign, and went for a buddy ride again. Tony shook his head in disgust. However, I kept an eye on my own back for the rest of the dive.

These are the kind of advanced diving tid bits one can learn from more experienced ScubaBoard divers. :eyebrow:

Warning!! Do not attempt the above while scuba diving! You could die! In fact, I wouldn't try this while you're not diving either.
Yup...Uh Huh....I wondered what why the hair was tingling on the back of my neck was about...but when I saw you above and behind me I thought" Rick is just admiring my superior diving technique and flawless frog kick" Now I realize I was being used like a cheap second stage......gonna have to pass that trick on...
See you at the train wreck Rick!!

Thanks for the heads up! I can see some of my buddies trying this out on each other or me as the case may be. Now we will just have to see who does it to whom first!! :eyebrow:

I was the scooter for most dives I did in my teen years. My dive buddy in those days was my Dad and I had a SAC rate about 1/2 his. We both dove 80's, so if I towed him around it balanced out our consumption and made for a longer dive than it would have been otherwise.

-Ben

airsix:
I was the scooter for most dives I did in my teen years. My dive buddy in those days was my Dad and I had a SAC rate about 1/2 his. We both dove 80's, so if I towed him around it balanced out our consumption and made for a longer dive than it would have been otherwise.

-Ben

And you actually bought that story??!!!! :eyebrow:

... and after you've let your buddy tow you around for a bit, place a starfish on his tank and see where it ends up by the end of the dive ... :eyebrow:

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom