Talk Radio... underwater...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

so what would you guys listen to, esp on a particular dive, ie: I have always thought Buckethead's Funnel Weaver cd would be great to listen to at the pinnacles in Monterey Bay, CA....or a little Jimmy Cliff while cruisin' the Blue Hole, or The Melvins whilst drifting in Cozumel....

It could probably be done, but would take a lot of determination. You'd need to find a player that allows you to attach a wire antenna (I'm not sure if these things are anything special or just standard wire: I know my alarm block just has a simple black wire coming out of it for the antenna) then tie this to some sort of tube that can float directly above you while diving and figure out a way to get the wire into the dry bad without letting water seep in.

Just getting it to work plus the annoyance of towing a tube around with you the whole dive probably means it's not worth the effort.

Depending on how important it is that your talk radio is in real time, you could get a waterproofed mp3 player and download podcasts of the shows you want to listen to. I do that with a lot of the NPR shows I like, so I can listen to them during my long commutes.

It would let you avoid the antenna issues...

The only kind of thing I'd even possibly want to hear other than bubbles underwater is something like the Blue Danube or Brandenburg Concerto...
Rick

I'm partial to the sound of dolphins and whales but usually have to settle for the clicking an ticking of all the little critters when I dive locally. :wink:

I'm partial to the sound of dolphins and whales but usually have to settle for the clicking an ticking of all the little critters when I dive locally. :wink:
Yep, yep... all those are good too. And the frraaaahhhhmmppp ffrrraaahhmmmppp of the toadfish, & the thump of the Jewfish, croak of the croaker, scrape of the parrotfish, etc., etc... but please, let's keep it no radio!
:)
Rick

I'd like to find a way to listen to my AM radio talkshows while quarry-cruisin' for hrs at a time...

One of the reasons I enjoy diving so much is that I get away from obnoxious noises like radio hosts...:D

So I guess if you run your reel all the way out then attach a long antenna line and then reel it back up it could work. When you get ready to send your lift bag up, make sure you attach the antenna line to the top of the SMB and then deploy it. Your antenna would then be about 6 ft above the water.
Sounds good to me..:)

I've always thought Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here, would be nice about the time you drop off a wall. Naw, no "other" sounds are needed except the bubble machine.

I'd like to find a way to listen to my AM radio talkshows while quarry-cruisin' for hrs at a time...

Google search isnt producing much... anyone find a practical workaround that makes this possible ?

maybe jus' a cheap radio w/ standard earbud headphones, multiple sandwhich baggies and lotsa duct tape?
At medium wave frequencies, it would take a heck of a receiver to get anything useable deeper than about an inch.

Maybe you could put the receiver on a float and run the audio down on a wire, although that would probably involve putting something more than the usual ferrite bar up as an antenna.

Podcast is the best idea I have seen.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom